This Is Who I Am

Third Person POV:

Jennie and Jisoo have a stable and happy relationship. They have been dating for only six months. They know each other like they have been together for years.

When Jisoo became a teenager, she struggled to be accepted by her family because she prefers women over men. Her parents spent their time attempting to hook Jisoo up with a guy, going as far to set her up on a date without her knowledge, but nonetheless, she always ended up rejecting them. They always insulted her and tore her down because of her dating preference. They neglected her and acted as if she didn't exist. The rest of her family did the same, besides her younger cousin Lisa, who was the only person who helped her through rough times. It hurt Jisoo, but she didn't let it get to her head.

Once she was old enough, Jisoo moved out with Lisa's help and cut contact with her parents after they threatened to kick her out if she didn't hook up with a man. It took her several months, but she was able to land a job where she worked part-time while she studied in college to finish her education to land her dream job as an actress, and that is where she met Jennie, her roommate.

Jennie and Jisoo shared a lot of common interests and instantly became friends. They spent time together and it was rare to see them apart from one another. After they graduated from college, both of them realized they had feelings for each other when Jennie caught Jisoo off guard with a kiss. From there, their relationship blossomed into something more beautiful than they ever imagined.

The past six months felt like a fantasy for Jisoo. She and Jennie were inseparable. After years she finally felt loved and cared for. She felt free. She wasn't judged 24/7 and she could be her own person without having someone constantly on her back and change her.

Today, Jisoo decided to take Jennie out to the beach, her favorite location in California for their six month anniversary. Jisoo always wanted to spoil Jennie and give her everything she deserves, as she has always been by Jisoo's side even at her lowest. She felt that it was the least she could do for Jennie, considering everything they endured together to get to where they are today.

Not only are they celebrating their anniversary, but they are also celebrating Jisoo's first role as part of the main cast of Snowdrop. When Jisoo had received a call from one of the directors letting her know that she landed the role of Eun Yeong-ro, it surprised her that she could achieve something that she considered and is a big achievement for someone at her level.

Jisoo finished getting ready and was about to go outside to start the car when she heard the notification bell chime on her phone. She picked up her phone and saw that it was a message from an unknown number that seemed familiar to her. It was her mother.

'Hi honey, how are you? I've been thinking about you a lot lately. Do you think we could meet up and talk?'

- - -

She read her mother's message several more times, struggling to choose whether to reply to her, ghost her, or block her number again.

Before she could come to a final decision, she received another text. This time it was from Jennie. She wanted to know if Jisoo was on her way to pick her up yet. Jisoo promised Jennie that she would take her out today and that she had a surprise for her to celebrate their anniversary. Jennie always grew excited when Jisoo surprised her because she knew Jisoo had put a lot of thought into everything she received from her.

Jisoo let out a sigh and decided to deal with her mother later. She quickly replied to Jennie and rushed outside to start the car. She wanted to fulfill her promise to Jennie and she wasn't going to let a simple text from her mother get in the way of it. She still believes deep down that her mother doesn't accept that person that she is.

30 minutes later she arrived at Jennie's apartment where she saw Jennie standing outside with a small bag to her side waiting for her. Her face lit up when she saw Jisoo's car pull up. She sprinted towards the car and hopped inside, throwing her bag in the backseat with a beaming smile that always made Jisoo blush.

"I'm glad you came. I was starting to get worried that you wouldn't show up."

Jisoo kissed Jennie's cheek. "I made a promise and I plan to fulfill it. You know I can't stand it when I break a promise, especially when it involves you." Jennie's smile widened and planted a small kiss on Jisoo's lips. She put her seatbelt on and looked out the window the entire car ride, admiring everything she saw.

When they finally arrived, Jisoo covered Jennie's eyes and walked her over to the beach. Jennie was uncontrollably giggling like a little girl, which Jisoo always found adorable.

When Jisoo removed her hands from Jennie's eyes, Jennie's face lit up in amazement like she had never seen the beach before. Her expression made Jisoo's heart flutter and the butterflies in her stomach crazier than ever.

"You still remember I love going here. You remember so much about me. You leave me speechless Chu."

Jisoo grabbed Jennie's hands and gave them a gentle squeeze. "Since the day we started dating, I promised you that I was going to be a loving, trusting, hard-working, selfless, and loyal partner. I'm going to keep my promise Jen. I love you and you're the best thing that has ever happened to me."

Jennie kissed Jisoo passionately, but they were quickly interrupted by someone calling Jisoo's name. They both immediately separated and they saw Jisoo's mother approaching them. Jisoo cleared her throat, and looked into her mother's eyes for the first time in almost two years.

"Mom...what are you doing here?" Jisoo asked. Her mother hesitated before responding. "You didn't answer my last text so I came out here to clear my head, and I saw you so I decided to come over to see if we could talk."

Jisoo looked over at Jennie who nodded in approval. Jisoo and her mother stepped aside but not too far away from Jennie.

"What did you want to talk about?" Jisoo asked firmly, wanting to get the point before her mother would create any small talk. "I wanted to see how you were doing honey. Also, me and your father want you to move back in with us."

Jisoo scoffed and crossed her arms on her chest. "After all this time, you guys want me to move back in now, when there were other instances where you had the chance to ask me, but you never bothered to even give me a call, a text, or even an email."

Her mother knew her daughter was right, but she hid her guilt, and she hid it well. "I know Jisoo, I know. We just wanted the best for you. We didn't want you to get discriminated against by people around you because you're interested in females. And it seems the interest hasn't changed since."

Jisoo took the last sentence as another insult because she's gay. She didn't want to hear any more insults than she had already had before she moved out.

"Mom, you can say whatever you want about my dating preference, but I can care less. You and dad mistreated me for years and insulted me because I'm gay, and I'm tired of it. I love you mom, but you need to understand that I'm not going to change. I love Jennie and she means a lot to me. I'm happy with Jennie and she is everything I've ever wanted. You're going to have to deal with it and learn to respect me and my wishes. You can't change me no matter how much you want me to. I'm sorry mom. This is who I am."

With no words left to say, Jisoo walked away from her mother and spent the rest of the day with Jennie with no regrets.