Prologue: The Last Will

Never put yourself in the position of regretting what you did or did not try to do. Every experience whether it is good or bad, if it's based on the passionate belief that you are doing something you love, will give you the will and character to learn, grow and persevere.

-Edwin Mamerto

Coco Spencer's POV

I was late. Everyone was probably waiting for me at the drawing-room of Spencer manor for the reading of the last will of my late grandfather. Every member of my family was anxious guessing how much inheritance they would get from grandfather. But I was not like them. Because I knew Carlisle Spencer disinherited me a long time ago so I would not be shocked if I was left with nothing after reading the will. Let's just say that I wasn't my dear old grandfather's favorite grandchild—heck, I'd be surprised if he had a favorite among us.

Thinking that I made them wait for me long enough, I opened the heavy wooden door of the largest drawing room of the manor and made myself known. "Sorry, I'm late."

Several pairs of eyes drew in my direction. I couldn't miss the way those eyes threw me a disapproving look. Everyone still wore mourning attire after weeks of grandfather's death. As if, the gesture would be appreciated by the man himself. Like they were truly saddened about his demised if I didn't know better they couldn't wait for him to die so they can get their inheritance already.

It was my Aunt Clarrisa, who broke the painful silence. "We've been waiting for you to arrive at least half an hour now." She said disapprovingly. "Where have you been?"

"I'm sorry, Auntie," I muttered insincerely, not bothering to remove my oversized sunglasses. "A very important matter came up that's why I've been delayed."

"What's more important than this?" Clarrisa snapped angrily. She threw an accusing look to my father who sat at the settee near the window with my mother. "Why don't you teach your daughter a good manner?"

Father raised an eyebrow at his sister's outburst. "You heard Coco. Something came up important that's why she's been delayed. She's here now so that's all that matters, right?"

I smiled at my father as I walk where he'd been sitting. I didn't know if he was aware that I intended to be late in this affair or not. I kissed his cheeks and did the same with my mother. My mother muttered something in my ear that made me smile. "You always like creating an uproar in the family, don't you?"

I feigned the look of innocence in her direction. "I don't know what are you talking about, Mama."

"Take your seat, Coco," my auntie snapped again. "You can chat with your parents later." I threw her a disapproving look. This old crone, she couldn't wait to get her inheritance. I smiled at my brother that I haven't noticed standing silently near the wall.

I scanned for a vacant chair for me inside the room when my gaze settled to a familiar figure. "Why the bloody hell he's here? I thought this meeting is just for Spencer's family members only. I am not aware that outsiders can come."

My cousin, Zoe, twined her fingers to the man in question. "Blair is my fiancé now so consider him as a member of the family, dear cousin. I'm sure you don't have any protest with that, right?"

I gave them a saccharine smile. When all I want to do was smack my ex-fiancé and removed that smug smile from his loathsome face. I haven't forgiven this bastard cheating on me with my cousin. "Not at all."

"Over here, Coco." Zoe's older brother patted the vacant space next to him on the sofa near the mahogany table my late grandfather loved to use.

I sat beside him and smiled at Carlisle's attorney silently witnessing all the family drama. "Sorry for the wait. We can start now."