Chapter 5: The Decision

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rafe Moretti's POV

I was not sure until this moment if my decision had been correct in calling the bold Spencer heiress and accept her proposition. I sighed deeply while waiting for her to arrive at the place we agreed to meet. But what other choice is left for me? My mother just called she told me that the bank would take possession of our home if we couldn't pay our debt in time. 

As much as I hate to admit, I was once again on the verge of entering that stupid agreement with a different woman. I need to rich heiress to save our family's business and this woman needs a husband so she could get her inheritance from her dead grandfather.

I was sure as hell that this would end badly. I have escaped that fate the first time but I don't think I could escape this one. She's my last hope. Even if my conscience rebelled at the idea of marrying again for business purposes only. I didn't have a choice but to proceed. I hope everything would be all right in the end.

I took a sip of water as I glanced at my wristwatch. She might not arrive for a few more minutes since I called her so hastily. I was surprised when I saw her entering the restaurant with her signature whirlwind personality.

She scanned the crowd briefly probably searching for me. I couldn't miss the way men stared fascinatingly at her beautiful face. Wait, what? I blinked several times to make sure. Why I haven't noticed before that she's stunningly beautiful? Even though she plagued me like hell since the moment we met. Then it occurred to me since I was so busy sending her away I haven't had the chance to study her face fully.

No wonder she caught every male's attention in this restaurant. Do I really have to do this? I asked myself silently. Too late because she caught the sight of me, I slowly stood from my chair to greet her.

She smiled brightly in my direction and waved her hand happily. She started to approach my table. "Rafaelle!"

"Sorry to call you so sudden-" My words were cut off abruptly when she suddenly tiptoed and kissed me on the lips. This woman would be the death of me, I swear. I glared at her smiling face. "What's that for?"

She had the nerve to roll her eyes as if I asked the most absurd question she ever heard in her life. "A greeting kiss, what else?"

"I told you before, do not kiss random guys you just met." I tried to reason out her behavior. "Value yourself--"

She tiptoed and kissed me again once again. "That's enough, honey. I didn't come here all the way from Spencer Manor up to here in record time just to listen to your homily. So what do you want to talk about?"

I shook my head in resignation. Lectures were wasted on this woman. She's more strong-willed than Leila Fiorenza. The only woman I knew who broke every rule in history. I was starting to have headaches. Can I keep up with this woman? I pulled out a chair for her. "Sorry for the uncalled lecture. It's just I don't like it when women are the ones making advances to men."

"Wow, a gentleman." She commented when she saw I pulled out a chair for her before sitting on my offered chair. "But I also told you before. This is twenty-first-century women can do the first move."

"But I'm a traditional man," I answered back, taking the chair opposite to hers. "Back where I came from old custom still practice."

She rolled her eyes again, as the waiter approached us with the menu. "Are we back to the 'we-do-not-suit-each-other-because-we-view-life-differently' thing?" She took the menu to the waiter with a smile. "Gosh, don't you know the saying 'opposites attracts'?"