Chapter 8: The Wedding

The real act of marriage takes place in the heart, not in the ballroom or church or synagogue. It's a choice you make - not just on your wedding day, but over and over again - and that choice is reflected in the way you treat your husband or wife.

-Barbara de Angelis

Rafe Moretti's POV

I stared at my reflection as I took a deep breath. Today was not like any other day in my life. It was my wedding day, I find it funny how my life completely changed in two weeks since meeting the Spencer heiress. She has a bright personality and is filled with the zest of life. I just hope that she would not regret marrying me later.

I just need to make sure that she would be happy with me from now on. She's a very kind woman who insists on helping me with my dilemma with her inheritance. We agreed to try to work out our marriage and live as a normal couple.

It's been a week since we agreed to wed. From the day I asked her hand in marriage with her father. I took care of the necessary documents for our wedding. I secured a special license since she's eager for the wedding to take place.

Placing the cufflinks on each side of my sleeves, I decided to call my mother to inform her that I'm getting married today. After a few rings, she finally answered. "Hello, mother."

"Rafe. How are you, figlio?"

Looking at the reflection in the mirror for the last time, I walked into the living room of my hotel room. "I'm fine. I just want to inform you that I'm getting married today."

"What?" My mother exclaimed on the other line. "What are you talking about? Why I haven't heard this before?"

I sighed deeply, rubbing my forehead. "I'm doing this to save our family's business. Besides, you said that you don't want to lose our family home, right?"

There was a long pause on the other line I thought it was disconnected but then I heard my mother again. "Yes, but..." She paused again. "...didn't you tell me after Leila runaway not to marry again for a stupid reason? Who's the girl?"

I sat on the sofa. It seems that my necktie was too tight around my throat this morning. "She's an English woman who can't access her inheritance unless she marries, mom."

"Does she know the real reason you are marrying her?" My mother fired the question without a heartbeat. "Does she know that you are in love with another woman?"

I frowned at my mother's words. "May I ask who I am in love with, mother?"

She snorted on the other line. "Laila, of course. Why? Are you going to deny it, figlio? Wasn't that the reason why you were so happy when her twin sister runaway and your wedding didn't take place?"

I groaned and close my eyes. "Oh mother, stop saying that! Other people might hear you and think that I still have secret feelings for Laila. I don't want that to be an issue now that she's happily married to her husband. I am over with my feeling for her."

"Cesare made a mistake when he sent Laila to meet his good friend's son. He should have waited for his men to locate Leila who flees to escape her fate." My mother said acidly. "If Laila stayed in Sicily then you might have a chance with her—"

"Stop it, mom." I cut her off. "I am hanging up now. I don't want to hear that from you again. We cannot change whatever happened in the past. Maybe it's the best for all of us. I don't want to marry Laila and later she will realize that she's not really in love with me. Cesare's decision had been correct. I need to go."

"Wait!" My mother said on the other line. "All right, fine. I will not open this subject again. But tell me something. When will I meet your bride?"