Chapter 25: The Divorce

Nowadays love is a matter of chance, matrimony a matter of money and divorce a matter of course.

-Helen Rowland

Rafe Moretti's POV

After a week of silence from my wife, our planned dinner date on Saturday had finally arrived. I must admit that I still feel uneasy about her sudden trip to the country to visit a friend of hers. Deep inside I kept on telling me there's more about her sudden disappearance than meets the eye.

I took a deep breath. Seriously, Rafe? I asked myself silently. I must be nuts thinking so much about this sudden trip of Coco but I couldn't help it. I missed my wife so badly the Spencer manor feels so cold and lonely when she's not around. I missed the sweet and teasing smile she always gives to me.

I glanced at my wristwatch. She informed me via text message that she's on her way here. I couldn't contain my anticipation at the thought of seeing her again. It's been a long hell of a week for me.

I searched in my pocket for the familiar box. I was supposed to give this custom-made necklace to her exactly one week before she suddenly went to Hampshire.

A few moments later I immediately spotted her as she slid out of the cab. My breath was caught at the sight of her familiar figure. Suddenly, all the week of missing her like hell vanished in the thin air.

I saw her enter the restaurant and the maitre d' led her to the table where I've been sitting for quite a while now. I slightly frowned when I saw her grim expression. Something was wrong. This was not what expected when we see each other again.

"It's been a while," I said casually, standing up on my chair to pull her chair for her.

"Yes," She murmured avoiding my gaze. I frowned again at her behavior. Why she's acting like this? She's somewhat distant toward me.

"How are you, mia moglie?" I asked as light as possible, trying to dispel the awkwardness that surrounded our table. "How's your trip to the country? I hope it's a fun one."

For the first time since she entered the restaurant, she met my gaze. I couldn't pinpoint the emotion in her eyes right at this moment. "Yes. It's fine, Rafe. But I didn't come here to discuss my trip in Hampshire to you."

"Of course," I replied with a smile, but her words cut deep in my heart. Was that the subtle way of saying that she doesn't want me to ask anything about her trip? Something was definitely wrong here.

I eyed the envelope she place on the table. For some reason, this made me nervous even more. "Let's cut the chase here, shall we? I need this to be done as soon as possible. I want this to be a tearless goodbye."

"What are you talking about, cara mia?" Fear crept lightning fast in my chest. I was suddenly afraid of what the hell was going on here. "What's with this nonsense notion you have, Coco? Why does it to be a tearless goodbye? Aren't we here because I promised you that I will treat you to a fancy dinner?"

She shrugged casually, avoiding my gaze again. "Maybe. But things have changed, Rafe. I don't want to continue this charade of marriage. Here." She pushed the envelope in my direction. "I already draw our divorce papers. I want out of this marriage."

Suddenly, in an instant, my world collapsed right before my very eyes. I didn't think I heard her right. Did she say—she wants out of our marriage? B-but why? How? I thought everything was perfect before her sudden disappearance last week.

"W-what..." I swallowed hard, trying to clear my voice. "What's with this sudden decision of divorcing me, Coco? I thought we're going to try to make this marriage work? Why do you want to quit now."