Chapter 12: The Relatives

One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives.

-Euripides

Coco Spencer's POV

I stared at the imposing Spencer manor with a bitter smile on my face as I slid out of the car. It didn't cross my mind that Carlisle would force me to live here again with the company of my relatives. When I turned eighteen I couldn't wait to get my own flat so I could move away from them. Weekend visits suited me better. Now a few years later I was back with my husband in tow.

"Home sweet home," I commented dryly. Rafe went to my side with our luggage in his hands. I couldn't help but admire how devastatingly handsome he was with his casual outfits with matching dark sunglasses concealing his eyes.

We were about to ascend from the marble staircase when the entrance door suddenly burst to open with a glaring Aunt Clarrisa and my cousin Zoe. I was quite surprised that her pet was nowhere to be seen this time.

I smiled at them pleasantly, hooking my hand around Rafe's arm. "You don't need to welcome us, Aunt Clarrisa. We are just going to live here temporarily after we completed the terms of the second will Rafe and I will move to Sicily." I smiled at Rafe. "Right, honey?"

He returned the smile. "Sì, Signorina."

"It's not enough for you, isn't it?" My auntie asked bitterly. "You still want more. Isn't that enough that you get everything from dad now you still wanted to move here? To what? To rub it in our faces that you get everything while we left with nothing?"

I rolled my eyes. "Quit the drama, Auntie. It was Carlisle's wish that my husband and I should stay here in the first year of our marriage before we can live on our own. Besides, if I have my way I don't want even a single day living with the same roof as you guys."

She glared at my husband briefly before focusing her blue gazed back on me. "You couldn't wait to get your inheritance that's why you married in haste, isn't it? I wonder if this guy knew the real reason you married him is that you just couldn't wait to access Spencer's wealth."

"Need I remind you if I didn't marry fast enough we'll all be homeless before this year ends because even this house will be put on an auction. You should be thankful to me, at least."

"When hell freezes over!"

I smiled acidly at my bitter aunt. "If I am just another human being I will be hurt by your words, Aunt Clarrisa. But then again, your niece is used by your way of talking. I suggest you apologize to my husband right this moment or..."

"Or what?" She asked angrily. I could see the view in her temple ready to pop any moment. "What will you do?"

I smirked at her, making sure my arrogant smile would hit some nerve. "You will not like it, Auntie. You must not forget that I am now technically the owner of the manor I can send away whoever I want from this house. I am Carlisle's heir."

I bit back my smile when I saw my aunt paled beneath her perfectly applied makeup. "You wouldn't dare to do that."

"Then don't tempt me to do it." I smiled at her but my face was filled with seriousness. "We can live in harmony for one whole year, right?"

I could see that Aunt Clarrisa still wants to throw a hot retort but she held back herself. Throwing one last acid look in our direction she marched back to the manor with Zoe trailing behind her. Once they were out of sight. I turned to look at Rafe who remained silent through the rest of my heated argument with my Aunt. "Sorry, you have to witness that kind of drama seconds after we arrive."

He gave me a reassuring smile. "It's okay. I can handle your Aunt just fine."

"What a promising one year waiting for us," I muttered softly as we continue to walk inside the manor. "How I wish that Carlisle didn't include this to his second will. I hate living with my relatives."