19 ⚔️ Mundanes

In a beat, he clutched the knob and wrung it open. He retained which side the door unlocked this time. He yanked the wooden door open. In less than a beat, he saw that it was Terra and there was no one with her. Her skull resting on the door, slumped aside. She fluttered inside the room as Diato wobbled the door entirely open. He made sure no one else was with her. He tightly clasped his fingers around the bicep of her arm. Before she even had the time to decline or respond, she was yanked inside the room, also keeping her from the drop. She heard the door slamming shut with a thud. She hovered herself on her feet. She glimpsed at Diato, who was wearing Max's shorts.

She opened her mouth to speak something - explain herself - but instantly closed it as she listened to Diato speak something.

"How much did you listen?" He said, darting at her over his shoulder, still spun to the door. His tone was unbiased. Nearly emotionless.

"What are talking about? I didn't listen to anything?" She said with her teeth, trying to sound persuading.

"I know you were listening to me. You'd have knocked before resting your head on the door, otherwise." He said, his tone was coarse and soothing at the same time.

"Okay, I heard that you were supposed to die, but you didn't," She said, admitting defeat. There was no point in fibbing if he was going to perish anytime soon.

"That's all I said," He said still not pivoting to her, "as far as I remember"

"Dieto -" She said, pointing out as shortly as she could, " Debato, your ears - they're-"

"Don't," Diato cut her off, with his tone stiff, almost emotionless." change the topic. Why were you spying on me?"

"I'm not changing the topic," She said, sounding convincing almost shrieking her voice to a cry. "Your ears - they're - they're pointed!"

"Don't act like you don't know about this." He said, finally twisting around; he shot her an emotionless gaze, as his voice rose to a shout, "You're aware that I've turned into a dragon and I was supposed to be dead but I'm not for some reason"

With a sigh, she gazed down at her lap. She wasn't sure what she was doing herself. She didn't know what to say. His mood was erratic with his tone. She didn't know what to say. Was he sad? Was he angry? Was he baffled? It was the first time she had seen Diato act like this - like a normal and serious person - he was always so chill to be serious. What had happened to him? She threw herself in the mattress, with her feet dangling over the edge. She was lost in the webs of her thoughts as she fidgeted with her fingers on her lap.

He strode across the room and reached his bed. He threw himself on it, fighting the urge to rub his forehead again. It was all too much for him to perceive. She glanced at him, wanting to throw her palm on the cup of his cheek and say, it'll be alright. She couldn't. She couldn't tell him that she was Timmy. It would make the situation worse. He was already confused about why he didn't die, he was grieffuly waiting for his death, he was also glad he didn't die, but he didn't want to celebrate too early as he could die anytime soon.

"I'm sorry," He said, lowering his voice to almost a whisper with a sigh, "I shouldn't have shouted at you. You're my senior, I should respect you."

"Don't be" She said, as she turned back to her fidgeting fingers on her lap, "you're misled if you think I'm that grumpy senior who'd punish you for not following orders." Her gaze moved back to his face, "I'm the friendly one. Everyone is. None of the Drayers look down on each other" Her words held a passive amount of conviction.

He didn't reply. With a short pause, he finally nodded. He never expected Drayers to have so much unity. He thought how much internal quarrels and rivalries would be prevented if no one looked down on each other.