Chapter 5

"So, what are we going to do now, Hokage-sama?" Shikamaru inquired, facing the blond with his back upright, awaiting for orders.

"For now, we should lay low. Acting as we did before would likely give us unnecessary attention. Especially from a certain warhawk." Naruto frowned in thought, as his composure changed into that of a Kage.

"Though, I need your help organizing a timetable for us to keep track of important events. Including necessary strategies for us to undertake."

"Understood."

"Also." Naruto hesitated, while looking at his friend with a complicated expression on his face, causing the Nara to look at him in doubt.

"Will it be alright if we involve your father into this?"

Stunned, Shikamaru stood frozen with pursed lips in deep contemplation.

"I-I just thought that, with his help, we can avoid suspicion much easier. H-He can also help us if we ever need to confront the Sandaime. Dattebayo." The blond sheepishly explained, rubbing the back of his head.

Not really knowing how to approach such a sensitive subject.

"I-I don't disagree... its just that..." Shikamaru responded in a short while, loosening his body a bit, despite still feeling pensive and unsure, as he rubbed his face while his free hand is pocketed.

Wanting to somehow hide his unease. As harsh memories flashed at the back of his mind.

"I-I just don't know how to...." he bit his lower lip and lowered his head down.

Right in that moment, he suddenly felt a pair of arms immediately wrap around him into a comforting hug.

Startling him in place, unaware of a single tear that dripped onto the floor.

"I understand." Naruto whispered with his eyes closed tight. "Seeing them all alive will indeed be hard, but we can't ignore the fact that we are given this chance to do things right this time. We can now change things for a better future. For the sake of our love ones."

Hearing his words, Shikamaru tremblingly took hold of his shoulder and leaned his head further as he finally cried out his deep sorrow, pain and long awaited relief.

Causing them both to fall on their knees, as Naruto tightened his hold on his shaking friend, joining him by shedding his own silent tears.

'That's right. This is our second chance. I won't let it happen again. As Hokage, I will protect my precious people. Believe it!'

Feeling a mix of finally seeing hope and incredulity after all the years they've painfully endured in the war, after watching many of their comrades fall one after the other, after many failed attempts of trying to achieve victory, after how many plans were foiled, and after desperately trying to fight for their survival throughout the decade, at long last, all their sacrifices were not in vain.

'Finally... finally...' Shikamaru thought in painful yearning and relief.

They both kept tight hold of each other in place on the ground, grieving for the past and hoping for the future, and wept in full swing.

Not caring about anything else for the meantime.

Just wanting to take this moment to let out their emotions while they still can. To feel at ease. To feel reassured. To feel hopeful.

Knowing that they still have a fighting chance.

That everything is not over yet.

Unbeknownst that someone grew curious and doubtful upon witnessing such a scene through a window of the apartment of the blond. Feeling suspicious not hearing anything from inside.