Chapter 7

Both Naruto and Shikamaru were left stumped when looking for their comrade and friend, Sasuke, as they did not find him at the compound nor at the academy or even in the playground.

Despite all the sneaking they did to avoid suspicion from unwanted parties.

Concerned for his friend's well-being, the blond did try to expand his senses but was unfortunately stopped by a slight surge of discomfort from within, as if trying to warn him not to overstep.

As a result, he can only pinpoint something or someone from a short distance away compared to how he used to before.

Leaving the blond to feel frustrated and apprehensive about the whole thing.

Especially when it's apparent that something did happen.

"Argh! Where in the world is he?!" He whispered yelled, roughly grabbing his hair in annoyance while both of them stood in the middle of the street, near the intersection between the compound and the academy.

Ignoring the scathing gazes of the people around them.

Frowning in concern and dissatisfaction, as he slightly twitched in anger, Shikamaru glared at the villagers and quickly pulled the blond away from the area.

Stopping at an alleyway, Shikamaru took deep breaths to control his emotions.

Not wanting to do something he'll regret later.

"It's fine, Shika. I'm not bothered by it anymore." Naruto reassured, touched by his action.

"But I'm bothered by it!" Shikamaru countered as he turned to face the blond, startling him.

Not expecting him to react so strongly.

Sighing in exasperation, Shikamaru rubbed his temple and looked at his kage with seriousness mixed with bitterness.

"Whether it still bothers you or not, they don't get to treat you that way. After everything that happened, you're still a child for goodness sake! I am aware that you don't feel any resentment nor hatred towards them because you felt that they are somehow suffering and in pain due to that event. Which made them to not think straight or see through their agony, hence why they attack or torment you for it. It still doesn't excuse them nor justify their actions for harming an innocent child! Just what is the Sandaime thinking, leaving you all alone without a proper guardian?!"

"Shikamaru!" Naruto grimly reprimanded as he stood in front of him with his hands on his shoulders, successfully shutting him up.

Tensing in their place, both immediately caught onto the stiffening and faint shift of the ANBU team that are tasked to monitor the blond, regardless of staying hidden out of sight.

"My apologies." Shikamaru whispered as he slouched and lowered his head with a tired sigh.

"Thank you Shikamaru." Naruto responded after a long pause, making said person to look at him in surprise.

"I understand your concern, but I still think its for the best. Because if it wasn't for these experiences, I wouldn't have met my precious people. I wouldn't be the person I am today. So if I were to be housed under someone, I'm not so sure if I'll still be the same as you know me now." He grinned in assurance as he felt lucky to have someone care about him.

"But still..."

"It doesn't matter. Because I have you guys now, don't I?"

Making Shikamaru look at him with wide eyes.

Soon he smiled at the blond and shook his head helplessly.

Knowing that he can't win against him on this.