Chapter One: Part 2

Vote/Comment ❤️

Khali James

The alarm jangled. Khali was bleary-eyed from too little sleep, and he quickly shut off the alarm. He grabbed his phone from the shelf by his bed as he sat upright. When he turned on his phone and saw that it was 5 a.m., he dropped it back onto the bed. He started talking to himself inwardly.

"Today is gunna be my first day at school. I can't wait to check out the University of Kansas. From what I've heard, it seems Kansas University is dominated by White folks. That doesn't matter, anyway. At least I'm not going to be the only Black person at there." He chuckled.

"Come to think of it, Kansas University seems a little far. I'm so glad Uncle Joe gifted me his car, 'cause right now, I would've been thinking about walking there, which would probably take me two hours. Thanks so much, Uncle Joe. Oh! something just came to me. I can use that flashy baby to impress the ladies. "Dang! I just remembered that Mama told me not to chase women and to focus on my studies," he thought.

"Mama sure is good at giving advice, but this guy right here, well, I don't always take it. Although I've only been here for barely a week, I've already started missing her. Mama can be annoying sometimes, but none of us can seem to hate her. It's funny that I've missed her teasing. If she was right here with me now, she would have started teasing me. Sometimes, I wonder if she's forgotten that I'm an adult, because of the way she treats me sometimes. But despite that, she's such a fascinating character, although she can't be compared to Dad, who sometimes acts like a clown despite his age," he thought, chuckling as he got up from the bed and headed to the bathroom to brush his teeth and take a shower.

A few minutes later, he left the bathroom and went straight for the wardrobe, where he took a pair of blue jeans and a red T-shirt, which he put on.

After he finished getting dressed, he went straight to the fridge and grabbed a medium-sized loaf of bread. He unwrapped the loaf and took five slices, which he then ate with a cup of tea.

After he finished eating, he switched on his phone to check the time. 6:10am was displayed on his phone screen.

"I think it's time to start moving out," he thought to himself. "I don't wanna be late for class, since it's my first time." He opened the door and went outside. As he came outside, one of his neighbor who saw him started hollering at him.

"Hey, Khali! The new kid on the block in Quindaro! Your boy's humble. What do you gat for me, man?"
"Jamal! Jamal! You think I don't know how popular you've been getting lately. The ladies can't get enough of you. Tell me, what's your secret?" said Khali.
"Stop dodging my question, man. I asked you what you've got for me. I might just tell you my secret if you give me a straight answer." said Jamal.
"Bro, you got to know that I'm just getting by. Don't let this flashy ride deceive you. In case you don't know, I didn't buy it. My uncle gave it to me. I'm supposed to be the one asking you for money. After all, the ladies are around you most of the time, and we both know that looks aren't enough to attract them. Money's what really talks, and I know you got it." said Khali.
"Okay, man. I get it. Now I know. I won't ask you for money, but I can ask you for other things. Let me just feel sorry for your sad little self and tell you my secret."

As Jamal was about to say something further, Khali quickly cut him off.

"Dang! It's 6:30am already. Bro, we'll talk later. Right now, I don't wanna be late for class." said Khali as he got into his car.
"Alright, man. See ya later. Take care," said Jamal as he watched Khali drive off in front of him.

Meshach Adewale

It was November 1st, and Meshach was in his room, staring at the ceiling and thinking about life.