Chapter Twelve

Vote/Comment❤️

Kirito Suzuki

Razal gave a little cough as he asked the next question. "What are you most afraid of?" he asked.
Hearing that, Kirito didn't think much before answering. "My greatest fear right now is failing this test because my fate is dependent on the outcome of this test," Kirito said.
"I see. What a precise answer! Now, shall we move on to the next question?" Razal asked.
"Yes," Kirito said, nodding.
"What's one thing you would do differently if you could start your life over?" Razal then asked.
Without saying much, Kirito replied, "You must have known my answer to this question already. When you asked me what my greatest regret is, I told you it's making the business deal I did with someone years ago, and that became the source and cause of my predicament, as you're well aware of. So, if I could start my life over, the one thing I would do differently is not making that business deal and abstaining from greed. A life of contentment is what I would live."
"Hmm, I see," Razal said, a smile visible on his face.
"What an interesting expression," Kirito thought to himself. "He seems pleased with my answers. I wonder what he's going to ask me next."

Oliver Collins

Razal's gaze fixed on Oliver, he asked the next question. "Tell me, what are you most afraid of?"
Hearing that, Oliver paused for a while before answering calmly, letting out a sigh first. "Truly, all men have fears - from lesser ones to greater ones. My lord, I think my greatest fear is already apparent to you, and I'm sure it's the same for other men. There is no fear greater than failing this test, because our fates are dependent on its outcome. If I fail this test, then my wife won't be saved. If I pass this test, my wife will be saved. That's just it, my lord. I hope I have answered your question clearly."
"Indeed, you have," Razal said. "Now let's move on to the next question."
"What's the one thing you would do differently if you could start your life over?" Razal then asked.
Hearing that, Oliver sank into thought.
"What would I do differently if I could restart my life? Could there have been a way to prevent my daughter from dying of her illness, or preventing her from getting sick in the first place? What about my wife? If I had been able to detect her illness in time, perhaps she would have had a few more years to live, as long as she took prescribed medication along with subsequent treatment. Would that have been okay for me, knowing she had only a few years to live? It would have seemed a tiny bit better than suddenly hearing that she had just a few days to live.
Maybe I could do something better to make her stay alive until we grow old together. It's still all guesses, I don't actually know what I would have done differently," Oliver thought with a little frustration. "Come to think of it, if I actually pass this test, does that mean my wife will be saved by being cured of her illness? Yes, I think that's what will happen," he thought to himself again, replacing the feeling of frustration with a soothing feeling. "Hmm, it seems I don't actually have an answer to this question," he thought again before looking at Razal.
"My lord, I must say this. I don't have an answer to this question. I guess you must have already known that just by reading my thoughts," Oliver said, sincerely.
"Well, not having an answer can also be regarded as an answer," Razal said with a smile. "That might not always be the case in the mortal world where you humans live, but in this case, all that matters is that you respond to my question. I don't care if you give me a right or wrong answer, or if you're lying or not. You nor others can't even lie in my presence in the first place. I told you all before, where my throne resides, that your mouths won't allow you to do that. But if your memory betrays your heart by not being able to recall certain important things you're supposed to say during the test, it can lead to you failing the test. One of you did so, but I won't tell you who that person is. The person I'm talking about actually succeeded in hiding a gruesome act he did in the past. He hid it deep inside himself to the extent that he can't even recall it, but I, Razal, can easily know the deepest, hidden things in the minds and hearts of humans. I already know what's hidden deep inside the person I'm talking about. When it's time for him to be judged, I'll remind him about the memory he has been hiding for a long time. Let it also be known that, apart from your memory failing or betraying your heart, there are other factors that can still guarantee you to fail the test. You just have to be careful not to hit on any of those factors," Razal concluded, leaving Oliver dumbfounded and lost in thought.

Khali James

Razal's gaze fixed on Khali, he asked the next question.
"What are you most afraid of?"
Hearing that, Khali ruffled his beard with his hands as he began to think seriously.
Razal's gaze was fixed on Khali like a scientist waiting for his lab rat or test subject to act or react.
"Hmm. What am I most afraid of? Do I really need to think about it much? What greater fear can I have right now than failing this test? Well, I don't think there is," Khali thought to himself before facing Razal to give an answer.
"I think I am most afraid of failing this test," Khali said slowly to Razal, who continued to stare at him intently.
"Okay then, let's move on to the next question," Razal said.
"What's the one thing you would do differently if you could start your life over?" Razal then asked, his gaze never leaving Khali's.
Khali's eyes met Razal's gaze for a few seconds, and he felt an uneasy feeling creep over him. He couldn't quite figure out why he felt that way, but he decided to ignore it and focus on answering Razal's question. Without thinking too much about it, he responded, his voice a little slower than usual.
"I think the one thing I would do differently if I could start my life over is to never have anything to do with the white lady named Linda. I would have focused solely on my studies. At least, my life was still better before she came along. So, it would have been a lot better without her," Khali said, his face etched with regret.
"I see," Razal said, his hand caressing his chin.
"Alright then, let's move on to the next question," he then said.

Meshach Adewale

Razal held Meshach's gaze for a few seconds, then asked the next question.
"Tell me, what are you most afraid of?"
Hearing that, Meshach answered immediately without thinking too much. "My greatest fear is failing this test. I think others will or must have said the same thing."
"Okay then, let's move on to the next question," Razal said.
"What's one thing you would do differently if you could start your life over?" Razal asked right away.
"Well, if it could have been possible, I would prevent my mom from dying. If I could do that, I would not have ended up staying with my aunt. Apart from that, I can't think of anything else I could have done differently to avoid being under my aunt's care. Even if I had known about my aunt's wickedness, she would still have gained my mother's favor. She would have easily deceived her. Even if I told my mom that my aunt was wicked, she wouldn't believe me because my aunt's pretense of kindness would have blinded her. I hope I have answered your question," Meshach said, concluding with a question.
"Yes, you have," Razal replied, preparing to ask another question.

Dominick Ricardo

A few seconds passed, then Razal asked, "Tell me, what are you most afraid of?"
"I'm most afraid of failing this test," Dominick replied.
"Okay then, let's move on to the next question," Razal said.
"What's the one thing you would do differently if you could start your life over?" Razal then asked.
Dominick tapped his fingers on the table as he considered his answer.
"What I would do differently if I could start my life over is not date Zara. Maybe if that had happened, I wouldn't have lost my job" Dominick knew he was putting the blame on Zara, but he couldn't help it. The same year he had broken up with her was also the same year he lost his job. He wondered if fate was just cruel to him.
"I hope I've answered your question," he said with a calm expression.
"Indeed, you have," Razal replied. Now, let's move on to the next question.