Chapter Twenty-two

Vote/Comment ❤️

There was silence in the air. Oliver and Dominick gradually recovered from the shocking story they had heard from Khali.

Meanwhile, Razal was busy staring at them with a smile on his face. Soon after, Shomer returned the same way he had before, by teleportation.

Standing beside Razal, Shomer quickly glanced at him and gave a quick bow. Then, Razal broke the silence with his words.

"So, there are two of you left," he said, pausing for effect. "Consider these possibilities: You two might get your fate changed in the end, or perhaps not, or perhaps one of you will have your fate changed while the other will not. It's just three possibilities. What a good fit for a gamble, if someone or something had challenged me. What about you, Shomer? How do you think things will turn out for these two men here?" Razal asked, facing Shomer.
"Well, my lord, we both know we would come to the same conclusion if it was a gamble. After all, I was listening too. In a way, I was present during the test, although not physically," Shomer replied.
"Yes, that's very true. I think It's now left to the men to predict their fate," Razal said, gesturing toward Oliver and Dominick.
"My lord, I almost thought you would tell the men to gamble on their own fate," Shomer interjected. Both of them began laughing.

"It's almost as if they're making fun of us," Dominick muttered to himself. "Now, I'm wondering how The gatekeeper was able to listen to everything we said at once, even though he wasn't there in person. So, how did he do it?" Dominick thought.

Shomer sensed Dominick thought, then responded.

"Dominick, I know what you're thinking. Well, it's indeed a mystery for me to be able to listen to all what you and the other men said simultaneously without being there physically. I will tell both of you how I was able to do that. So, listen," Shomer paused, then continued.

"You must not have noticed it. Same with the rest of the men who received their judgment. I actually sent an insect-like, tiny creature to each of your test rooms, and only my lord here could sense it. Yes, all five of his clones sensed it. Those tiny creatures I'm talking about are my extra pair of ears and a memory storage. They could only record what you said during the test and transfer the data directly to me all at once. I'm not like you humans, so my brain is able to organize that data well."
Shomer then snapped his fingers, and things that looked like tiny insects suddenly appeared, darting around at impossible speeds. They were blue in color, and the sight of them left Dominick and Oliver stunned. They had never seen anything like it before.
"Those are my sensory drones," Shomer then said. "They are connected to my brain and allow me to perceive things without having to be physically present. Both of you may not realize this, but the drones can also camouflage at my will. In your test rooms, they were camouflaged to match the room's color, so it was less likely that you would notice them," Shomer explained.

"I think that's enough delay. Your judgment will soon start," Shomer said. Razal then chimed in.
"Indeed, it will soon start, and the delay was a bit comforting. Look at it this way: It's sad when something fun will soon come to an end. So, the only way to make it last a bit longer is through delay. But it's also important to note that too much delay can spoil the fun."
"You're right, my lord," Shomer replied.
"Now let's start. Dominick, step forward," Razal said. "Or, let me just say Ricardo, because for some unknown reason, I just like the sound of the name," Razal said.
"Or you could address him with both, like you did with the men before. It just sounds right when you call him by both names," Shomer interjected.
"Yes, that's right. So, Dominick Ricardo, step forward," Razal said.

As Dominick stepped forward, fear suddenly struck him.

"Shomer, I will handle him myself. So, there won't be any point for you to judge first, like you have been doing," Razal said.
"Okay, my lord," Shomer replied.
"Dominick Ricardo, I won't waste any time with you, although there is actually no time to waste in this dimension—or, this realm, as you would say. The only time here is the time I feel I have. So, I will go straight to the point with you," Razal said.

Hearing that, Dominick swallowed with fear.

"Well, you did remarkably well during the test, but I have a question for you," Razal said, his voice deepening with authority. "Do you actually believe that money is enough to bring you happiness?" Before Dominick could reply, Razal continued.
"That's not entirely true. Sure, money can bring a degree of comfort, but it's not the key to lasting happiness. In fact, many people with great wealth suffer from depression and loneliness. True happiness comes from within, not from your external circumstances. You have to turn inward and cultivate an inner sense of contentment. Only then, can you find true happiness. I admire that you want to use money to make others happy, but it's not enough to bring you the lasting joy you desire.
"Now, let me go straight to the point," Razal said, his voice full of gravity. "You see, this test was meant to examine your heart, to see if you would be worthy of having your fate changed. But when you spoke of wealth and fortune, I saw something dark hidden in your heart. That desire for riches and wealth can lead you to your doom. You're not an evil person, but you have darkness inside of you. And you didn't even realize it. You couldn't see that darkness and extinguish it. You were just blind to it. It would be a shame for me to change your fate, only for you to lead yourself astray with greed and avarice. It's so unfortunate for you, Dominick Ricardo. It might come as a shock to you but I must say this. You have failed the test"

Dominick was utterly dumbfounded after hearing all that. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. It felt like his heart was ripped apart. He stood there motionless, more mentally dead than ever before.

"So, this is my outcome in the end," he thought to himself, looking extremely sad and broken. Then, Razal spoke again.

"You came here like a shepherd in search of his missing sheep, but now, you will leave here like a shepherd who found nothing."

Then he pointed at one of the door in the far end of the hallway then said.

"As black and red is that door, So is the colour of your fate. Now, go,"

With that, Dominick followed Shomer with disappointment dripping all over him.

Meanwhile, Oliver began to think about how his turn would be. Doubt crept in at some point, but he pushed it away, strongly believing in himself.