Chapter Five: Part 2

Vote/Comment ❤️

Khali James

Two days had passed since Khali's conversation with Linda, and he hadn't seen her around campus since then. He berated himself for not asking for her number when he had the chance.

"I'm such a fool," he thought. "Now I may never get to see her again."
As he sat in his art history class, Khali's mind was elsewhere. Instead of focusing on the professor's lecture, he kept thinking about Linda and all the things he wished he had said to her. He wondered if he would ever see her again.

The professor noticed that Khali's attention was elsewhere, and he called on him to stand up. "Mr. Khali, it seems like your mind is elsewhere," he said. "Is something bothering you?"
"No, sir," Khali said, stammering slightly. He knew he was lying, but he didn't want to get into it with the professor. He just wanted to get through the class and go home, where he could wallow in his thoughts in peace.
"I'm not sure I believe you," the professor said, narrowing his eyes.

Khali fidgeted under the professor's gaze, feeling like a child being scolded by his teacher. "I'm sorry, sir," he said, avoiding the professor's eyes. "I'll try to focus better." "See that you do," the professor said, his tone stern but not unkind. "This is an important class, and I don't want you to fall behind."

Khali nodded, feeling relieved that the professor wasn't going to push the issue. He sank back into his seat, feeling a little sheepish but also grateful that the professor had let the matter drop.

The rest of the class passed in a blur for Khali, his thoughts drifting to Linda again and again. He couldn't get her out of his head, wondering what she was doing and whether he would ever see her again. When the bell finally rang, he practically leapt out of his seat, eager to escape the classroom and the thoughts that were weighing on him.
As he made his way out of the building, he was startled to hear a voice call out, "Khali! Khali, wait up!"

Khali turned to see Linda jogging towards him, a smile on her face.
Khali's heart leapt into his throat as he saw Linda running towards him. "Hi," he said, his voice barely above a whisper.
"Hi, yourself," Linda said, grinning at him. "I'm glad I caught you before you left. I wanted to ask you something."
"Sure, what is it?" Khali asked, his nerves beginning to subside a bit. Maybe she hadn't forgotten about him after all.
"I was wondering if you'd like to hang out sometime. I was thinking we could go on Saturday, if that works for you. What do you think?"

Khali nodded, doing his best to play it cool. "That sounds great. What did you have in mind?"
"I was thinking we could go to the movies, then maybe grab a bite to eat afterwards," Linda said, her smile never fading. "Does that sound like fun?" she asked.

Khali smiled back, his heart racing. Khali's heart nearly stopped.

"Was this really happening? Was Linda asking him out?" he thought to himself. He struggled to find his voice, finally managing to say, "Yeah, it does."
Khali's words were a little jumbled, but he got the point across. Linda's smile widened, and she said, "It's settled then! We'll meet at the movie theater at 7:00 on Saturday.  Does that work for you?"

"It works perfectly," Khali said, his heart still pounding in his chest. "I'll see you there."
"I can't wait!" And with that, Linda turned and walked away, leaving Khali standing there, feeling both giddy and nervous. He couldn't believe his luck.
Khali spent the rest of the day in a state of nervous anticipation, thinking about the date and all the things that could go wrong.

What if he said something stupid? What if he spilled his drink? What if the movie was terrible? He tried to shake off these negative thoughts, but they kept coming back.