Part 2

Elrond did not have to stand in the cold for long because shortly after he knocked on the great doors of Erebor, they opened. The dwarven guards escorted Elrond to the throne room for a conversation with the mighty dwarven king Thror. As Elrond explained why he came all this way with a dwarven child and how he found her, Thror laughed at him as the child hid a little behind Elrond.

"Do you really think I am going to give shelter to a lost dwarf child? Surely you wouldn't have dared hope for that! Look at her Elrond even you should see that she is no ordinary dwarf child, she is bigger than a normal dwarf child, she looks like a slick elf, what should I do with her?" said this one after which Elrond sighed.

"I wouldn't know why she wouldn't belong here, I raised the child as best I could to make it simpler for you, she is well-mannered as you could already see, but you know as well as I do that a dwarf doesn't belong in an elf kingdom, if she did I would be happy to keep her with me but it can't be." Said Elrond as kindly as possible.

"How do I know you didn't raise her as a spy? Soon you will try to depose me from the throne through an innocent dwarf child? Why didn't you bring her here as a baby already?" Asked Thror, causing Elrond to sigh again.

"As I said lord, she was injured and I wanted to try to take care of her but she doesn't belong in Rivendell!" Said Elrond, of course he didn't mention the fact that the child was half orc and so needed to learn to control herself first.

"Why should I trust an elf?" Asked Thror then simply and distrustfully, at this Elrond also saw how Thror's son, the prince of Erebor shook his head and the guards had as distrustful a look in their eyes as the king.

Just as Elrond planned to take the child to the Iron Hills, a young dwarf walked into the throne room "I'll take care of her!" He said out of nowhere like a reckless soldier planning to fight a war on his own.

"Thorin!" growled Prince Thrain but Thror only looked at his grandson in surprise as he cautiously walked towards the little girl who clung tightly to Elrond's cape.

"What is your name young lady?" The young dwarven prince Thorin then asked as softly and sweetly as he could as he sat on one knee in front of the child.

"Terwyn, not lady, my lord" The girl whispered softly after which Thorin smiled "You are a brave girl Terwyn!" He then said after which the girl also smiled.

"Thorin we cannot take in a strange child if those elves really want the best for her that they keep her or place her with other dwarves!" Thrain spoke then after which Thorin's younger brother and sister also stormed into the room.

"No let her stay!" the young dwarf woman called Dis also said immediately while the dwarf boy, the youngest prince of Erebor pulled on his father's cape "Come on she's so small and sweet daddy! She looks like mummy." The young dwarven prince Frerin then said innocently after which Thrain immediately sighed as he looked at his son before turning his eyes back to the girl who now put her hand in Thorin's.

"Can the child stay your majesty?" asked Thrain then also after which Thror watched for a moment as the child was already being lifted with ease by Thorin and then taken over by Dis after which she put her arms firmly around Dis.

"Alright then she is your responsibility, just make sure I don't regret it or you will be in trouble! She will work here for a roof over her head, let it be clear that this is not an elf's home!" Growled Thror then after which Dis and Thorin looked at each other cheerfully whereupon Frerin also walked up to the girl and immediately introduced herself and promised her that now she was finally getting the life she deserved, far away from the forests and the many greenery that elves loved.

She had a family that cared about her, the girl was barely three years old and barely understood the conversations between Elrond and Thror or what Thorin, Dis and Frerin said. Nevertheless she smiled and looked around enchanted at her new home. After a brief goodbye with Elrond promising her to visit from time to time, she let him go with ease and soon joined the three royal children as if she had always been one of them. Elrond in turn stayed a little longer and a little more anxious watching the child disappear from his sight after which the guards led him back to the exit. Deep down, Elrond knew he could never see the child again and although he hoped she would miss him and look for him again one day, he knew that even that chance was slim.

At the same time, he was relieved that she was safe, he may not have known the royal children very well but one look had been enough to see that Thorin, Dis and Frerin had no evil in them. Although dwarves were stubborn and sometimes unreasonable, they would be perfect family for the girl. A girl who as Elrond had predicted soon grew up to be a young well-mannered woman who carried a deep secret she was unaware of herself, a woman who had no idea of where she came from and who brought her here, the name Elrond was no stranger to her but the person to whom the name belonged she had forgotten long ago.