Part 32

Terwyn travelled over hills and through deserted forests until she arrived in a village named Bree. Here, both humans and halflings lived, and it seemed to be an important stopping point for many travellers from all corners of Middle-earth. She stayed briefly at an inn called "The Prancing Pony". Here, all travellers found a tasty pint, a good meal, and a warm bed before continuing on their journey, including Terwyn.

The innkeeper was not too curious and did not ask Terwyn any questions about her origins or the purpose of her journey. She enjoyed being able to walk around unnoticed in a village again. Everyone here was accustomed to seeing dwarves or similar beings passing by, and no one paid much attention to the dwarven woman. After buying some food at the market in the morning, Terwyn left the town of Bree and walked up the hilly landscape called Hobbiton.

Terwyn had never seen a Hobbit before and had no idea how to imagine one until suddenly a village full of Hobbits appeared. Although Terwyn was already in love with the beautiful hilly landscape with colourful houses built into the hills with round doors and windows, she had to admit that the Hobbits were quite a pleasant folk. They had rather peculiar feet, which were immensely large and had a tuft of hair on top, and their ears were somewhat large and pointed.

Nevertheless, they exuded warmth and friendliness. At first glance, they seemed unsure of what to do with Terwyn, as they did not often receive visitors from outside. Eventually, however, some curious souls asked her if she needed help on her journey, if she was looking for a place to sleep, or if she wanted something to eat or drink.

Terwyn was then led by an older Hobbit to the "Green Dragon Inn", which at first glance resembled "The Prancing Pony". However, this place was much larger, as it was one of the few places where Hobbits gathered. The windows and doors were painted in a bright green colour, and inside, music played constantly while Hobbits drank and danced cheerfully.

Terwyn seemed unable to do anything but smile in this joyful place. After ordering herself a pint with some bread and chicken, she sat down at a table by the window and waited for her lunch. She sat alone for a while, pondering her journey so far and how she actually enjoyed the freedom. However, she did not have much time to think, as soon a young hobbit gentleman approached her table. "Sorry for intruding, miss, but I saw you sitting here all alone. Is it okay if I join you?" he asked so politely that Terwyn could not help but agree.

The hobbit appeared to be a young and friendly man. He had cheerful blond curly hair and soft blue eyes that matched well with the grey overcoat he wore. "Did you come from the Blue Mountains?" the hobbit asked, to which Terwyn shook her head. "From the Iron Hills, sir, well actually Erebor, but that mountain is no longer inhabitable, unfortunately. I've been traveling since then," she openly explained to the hobbit. He looked so familiar that she dared to speak without restraint, something that did not happen often.

"Oh dear, no longer inhabitable? Did the dwarves dig too deep?" the hobbit asked with concern, to which Terwyn laughed at his expression and then shook her head again. "Erebor was taken by a dragon, but actually, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tell you all this!" said Terwyn, unaware of how this place worked and whether this kind of information could be spread. She had travelled half the world; it seemed like a bad idea to sow unrest about a dragon that might never leave the mountain again.

"A dragon. Well, well, don't worry, I never leave Hobbiton, I'll never encounter that dragon in my life. How dreadful for you and your family..." the dwarf said before his eyes suddenly widened, and he slapped himself on the forehead. "How rude of me, I haven't even asked your name!" he said, to which Terwyn laughed again. "Oh, Terwyn, my name is Terwyn, and you are?" she said, and the hobbit nodded with a smile. "Pleasure to meet you, Terwyn, I'm Gorbadoc Brandybuck!" the hobbit introduced himself.

"Are you staying with us in Hobbiton for a while?" he asked curiously, to which Terwyn looked out the window again before nodding. "I would like to stay a little longer!"

"Well, if you need anything or have any questions, you can always come find me. I live at the end of the path up the hill in the first blue door!" the hobbit said excitedly. Terwyn nodded gratefully and then got her beer and meal served, after which Gorbadoc let her eat in peace and retired to his workshop.

Terwyn herself stayed in the Green Dragon for a while before going exploring in Hobbiton. She visited the market, walked along the paths leading to the colourful round doors, and went over the water and into the forest. After wandering around for a long time, she returned to the Green Dragon and went to bed satisfied.

Terwyn stayed in Hobbiton for almost a week and had been a daily guest at Gorbadoc and his family's home since day two. The Brandybucks were a cozy family of 7 children. Gorbadoc and his wife, Mirabella Took, had been living together in their cottage for their entire lives, and their children were slowly reaching the age to leave home. The oldest was Rory, he had a sister named Amaranth, then there was Primula, Saradas, Asphodel, and the twins Dodinas and Dinodas. Each had such different characters.

Everyone was curious about the stories Terwyn had to tell about her adventures in Middle-earth, but Amaranth was the most interested in them. Rory, on the other hand, was completely fascinated by stories about the gigantic fire dragon that came to Middle-earth and conquered the mountain. Saradas preferred stories about the elves. Primula wanted to see the mountains and the sea. Each had their favorite piece. Amaranth would daydream for hours about the stories, wanting to follow Terwyn everywhere to hear even more stories.

During their outings together through Hobbiton, Amaranth occasionally told her own stories, about how she once disappeared for days with her sister Primula. They had gone to Bree together and stayed at the same inn as Terwyn did when she was there. When they returned, their father was naturally furious, and half the hobbit population was looking for them, but it was worth it according to the sisters. Amaranth found her peace in the woods, among flowers and animals, while Primula loved water. She would sometimes go out on a boat on the river, although most hobbits were afraid of water, Primula was drawn to it. The way the boat floated on the water, seeing reflections of herself in the water, and the small waves she could make by touching the water surface with her finger or another object.

Amaranth didn't quite understand it, but she liked that her sister was adventurous too. Ultimately, Terwyn assured that it was good to be adventurous and seek challenges. At the same time, her protective and maternal side emerged, warning Amaranth that she was really lucky at home and that she should never give up that safe and cozy environment. Amaranth remembered this, and although she always enjoyed walks through the woods, she never officially left the hobbit hole. She spent her days among trees and flowers and came home in the evenings to the warm hearth to write down everything she had seen and experienced that day.