- tresspassing and foster care -

Emilia and John were sat in the DCS's office. Melia sat in one of the wooden chairs, playing with her hands in her lap as the woman spoke to them.

"Emilia, John." She begins, looking between them, though Emilia mumbles something beneath her breath.

"Melia, nobody calls me Emilia anymore." She mumbles, a pissed look written on her face, still avoiding eye contact.

"Melia, whatever. It's come to our attention that you two are un-emancipated minors living on your own." The woman says with a sigh, leaning back into her chair. She holds their file with one hand and removes her glasses with the other.

Melia can hear John B scoff nervously from beside her and she kicks his leg beneath the table.

"No... no." Melia quickly says, trying to get the woman's attention off of John B, who was giving away their lie with his stupid body language.

She watches the woman tilt her head slightly, "Is that true John?" The DCS woman pries from him, sitting forward in her desk chair.

"Yes." He mutters quietly, rolling his eyes at the stupid woman. Why would nobody ever give them a break?

"Kids, I need honesty to help you two." She says, swapping her glance between them. "That's what we want, right?" She asks.

John seems to have got his act together as he sits up and nods. He cant blow this for Melia, if they get sent to foster-care they will almost definitely be separated.

"We are being honest." Emilia mutters with an eye roll, grabbing the miniature globe off of the women's desk and fiddling with it in her lap. She evidently didn't want to be there.

"Okay, then when was the last time you spoke to your Uncle?" She asks, noting stuff down on her dumb piece of paper.

Melia watches John glance at his watch as he says with ease, "Thirty-four minutes ago." He offers her a sarcastic smile.

"And, when was the last time you saw him?" She asks, prying deeper and deeper into their lives, clearly trying to catch them out.

Melia notices John pause slightly and she sits up and quickly says. "Two hours and... Forty-Three minutes ago?" She says, trying to hold in the small laugh that was threatening to escape her lips.

She watches as the woman looks up from her sheet of paper and begins to glare at the two children. She places her pen down.

"John, we're gonna come out there tomorrow to talk to you two and your uncle." She says, sitting back once again and crossing her arms. "If he's not there, we're moving forward with foster care." She says firmly.

Emilia can feel her heart drop and her body stiffen slightly, she fixes her eyes to the floorboards, not daring to look up cause she knows she would punch the shit - out of that inconsiderate woman's face.

"I want to assure you, we're gonna find you a safe, and loving home." The woman says, acting like she cares.

—————————————————

Melia scoffs as they walk out of the office and back to the Twinkie.

"Did they actually think we were going to be happy to hear that?!" She yells, kicking the dashboard of the van, turning to stare out of the window. Her wavy blonde hair falls in-front of her ears messily with her sudden movement. She pushes it back and lets out a worked up sigh.

"It'll be fine Emi, I swear." He says, turning to look at her but keeping his hands on the wheels. He bites his lip slightly, he really doesn't know what to do this time.  And normally, between the two of them, they always know what to do.