- a close call and wannabe divers -

"I have a plan." JJ says, watching as John B turns around back around with a frustrated sigh.

"We decided you and Lia would take gear off of Ward's boat, but after what happened last night- I think it's best if Lia goes alone." He begins, glancing at Emilia. He knows she hates Sarah.

She only works there so that she can make some money to, y'know, live?

"We borrow the gear and we go down to the wreck tonight." He says firmly, gaining a nod from Emilia.

"And that is what's gonna save you two, man." He says, a pause filling the room.

"You don't see rich kids going to foster care or juvie, do you?" Melia pipes up with a small smile on her face.

—————————————————

You know, John B probably should've learned a long time ago to never listen to JJ and Emi. They're full of bad ideas, like convincing John B to agree to Emi stealing from their rich boss.

But this time, they were right.

They had nothing to lose.

Their dad said the island was like America on steroids. The haves and have-nots like anyplace, but magnified and multiplied.

But the way Melia sees it? The game's been rigged. Maybe it always has been. With no parents, no money and nobody looking out for them? They have no chance, unless they make it on their own.

—————————————————

Melia glances off to the side from the front balcony of the boat, seeing Sarah and her snobby, rich kook friends all sat around a table, clearly having fun.

She simply scoffs and shakes her head, unlocking the main door to the yacht.

She walks in and quickly runs down the steps, opening up the storage cupboard.

There it all was.

She takes a deep breath before placing her bag down onto the floor and unzipping it. She grabs the tanks out the cupboard, quickly shoving them into her bag. Not taking time to check whether or not they were full.

She pushes her blonde hair behind her ears, standing back up and throwing the bag over her shoulders.

She sighs and steps outside the boat, that's when she hears a voice from beside her.

"Oh, hey." A girls voice says in a bitchy tone. "Are you stalking us? Plotting your revenge?" The girl suggests, raising her eyebrows at the curly-haired girl who was trying to leave the boat.

Of course it's Sarah.

Melia literally audibly sighs before turning around with an eye roll. "Yeah, you know what? Why don't you just tell your Daddy that my boy- that my best friend shot a gun near your boyfriend - who tried to kill my brother, incase you forgot?!" She says, glaring at the girl.

Why the fuck did she almost say boyfriend?!

"Everything's good to go. Just toppin' off these tanks." Melia says, shooting her a sarcastic smile before turning and walking off.

"Hey, are you okay? 'Cause your hands are like covered in bandaids and your head looks kinda gnarly." Sarah calls out to her, fake smiling at her.

Kie must've told her about her habit when they were friends.

Melia feels her jaw clench as she rolls her eyes at the girl, biting her tongue so she doesn't turn around and slap her right in her bitchy face.