Chapter 19

Will entered the modest quarters of the HMS Acquisition's brig, where he found Elizabeth sitting on a small cot. Since having to complete his duty aboard the Dutchman away from land, he and Elizabeth had not seen much of each other.

"Elizabeth, are you alright? What's happened?" Will asked.

Elizabeth responded, "Will, I'm fine. Beckett has me in what he calls 'confined quarters.'"

"Elizabeth, I've spoken with Beckett. He says he'll keep you safe if I stay out of this impending war," Will continued, his words tinged with frustration.

A wry smile flickered across Elizabeth's lips. " Don't be swayed by his promises, Will. Beckett's loyalties are more tangled than they appear."

"What do you mean?" Will asked, trying to unravel the situation.

"Beckett and Catherine have aligned themselves with the Spanish. They're making moves that don't bode well for the pirates."

"That's a dangerous game," Will muttered. "We need to stand united against him."

"Actually, we need Blackbeard," Elizabeth asserted. "He's in love with Catherine, and Beckett marrying her puts a target on their backs."

"Blackbeard?" Will's expression darkened with concern. "We barely escaped him last time."

"He's a necessary evil if we're to counter Beckett's newfound alliances," Elizabeth insisted.

Will hesitated, pondering her words. "All right. I'll reach out to the pirates, but we must tread cautiously. Blackbeard's motives aren't exactly aligned with ours."

"Agreed. But right now, he's our best shot against Beckett," Elizabeth affirmed.