Chapter 24

The following morning found Lord Beckett in his office, attempting to maintain his customary composure while sipping his morning tea. Yet, beneath the façade, his body betrayed the inner turmoil of frustration and anger that raged within at his perceived failure in securing his routes and overseeing his business interests. 'This setback is unacceptable,' he chastised himself mentally, 'These losses in our key routes undermines everything we've built.'

News of the previous night's onslaught had led to a day filled with meetings, navigating the ire of sponsors and merchant alliances grappling with substantial cargo losses. However, the most pivotal encounter awaited him with Admiral Julian Lozada, who now reconsidered the future of the Spanish-English trade alliance they had meticulously crafted.

As Beckett and his team analyzed the financial aftermath of the siege, preparations unfolded for the impending meeting with Lozada. Fortunately, the admiral was stationed at a nearby port, only a day's journey away. Prior to facing Lord Beckett, Lozada was engaged in discussions with his Spanish counterparts, setting the stage for a critical reassessment of their position in the alliance.

Amidst the day's commotion, Catherine keenly observed subtle signs of her husband's unease about the lost key customers, faltering trade alliances, and the looming uncertainty regarding the company's future. Though he hid it well, she noticed the telltale signs of his worry—a furrowed brow, tension in his jaw, a restless tapping foot, an intensified focus in business discussions. These fleeting moments spoke volumes. Despite Lord Beckett's heightened frustration, Catherine, attuned to her husband's demeanor, knew his pride was wounded by the events, and steadfastly stood by his side in support.

As night descended, Lord Beckett carried the weight of the day's challenges home. Walking in silence toward their bedroom, his preoccupied mind was apparent. 'This is a test of my leadership,' he mused internally. 'I must show resilience and find solutions.' Sensing his feelings of vulnerability and concern about his reputation and capabilities as a leader, Catherine wordlessly relieved him of his coat upon entering the room and gently massaged his shoulders. Without the need for words, she understood his emotional state and sought to provide comfort, silently reassuring him that nothing would diminish his worth to her.

Standing before him, she let her hair down and delicately unbuttoned his waistcoat. Interlacing her fingers with his, she met his gaze with profound care, and gave him a slow, sensual kiss. "Come," she softly prompted, leading him to their marriage bed.