𝟬𝟭𝟱, stay with me

chapter fifteen !❪ stay with me ❫

chapter fifteen !
❪ stay with me ❫

chapter fifteen !❪ stay with me ❫

THE RAIN GOT HEAVIER. the group entered the barn, looking around the place for any walkers or other dangers that may occur.

after rick told them that everything was clear, riley and carl glanced at each other before walking in.

riley and along with the others dropped their belongings and settled down to make a small fire. everyone found their own spot to relax for a moment and take a breather.

the brunette pulled out the picture that kept her calm and relaxed even when their was trouble around.

the little girl in the image was in front of her birthday cake with her two parents beside her, riley would forever miss that.

she misses being the girl she was before the world ended. she misses the relationship she once had with her father and she misses her mother, who was battling with cancer until she ended it.

riley stared at the polaroid picture before she heard a baby squeal. the smith girl turned her head towards where the sound came from and her eyes landed on a sleeping carl.

he had judith in his hold while he was deep asleep, small snores escaping. judith scrambled in his grasp, wanting to escape. a smile formed on riley's face before she went over to where the two were at.

riley carefully grabbed judith and made sure to do it quietly so that she wouldn't wake up carl. riley sat beside the sleeping boy and placed judith on her lap, slightly bouncing her up and down. the baby laughed at the action and hid her face in the crook of riley's neck.

judith rested her head on the girl's shoulder and riley rubbed small circles on her back. after awhile of dealing with judith, riley finally heard some movement from beside her.

carl sat up and rubbed his eyes before looking at the brunette and his little sister. "how long was i asleep for?" his voice was a bit groggily.

"twenty minutes," she shrugged as she gazed at the yawning boy. "did you sleep well?"

"would've been better if i was sleeping on an actual bed." carl rolled his eyes. judith lifted up her head and turned to her brother, reaching her hands out for him to take her.

"wow, you traitor," riley gasped in disbelief as she looked down at the baby.

carl laughed and shrugged before taking judith off riley's hold, "what can i say? she likes me better."'

"lies, judith likes me more." riley grinned and crossed her arms. "she practically begged me to take her while you were asleep."

"yeah because i was asleep, duh. you're clearly her second option." he sighed and shook his head. riley laughed and flicked his hat off his head.

she looked at the hat on the hay before smirking and placing it on her head instead. carl smiled at the girl, a weird feeling swarming up in his stomach. "how do i look?" riley pretended to pose with the cowboy hat.

"beautiful," he mumbled.

"what?" she furrowed her eyebrows.

"good," carl changed his response with a nod. riley felt hotness rise to her cheeks and hid her smile that was forming on her face.

riley placed her hand on the hat to remove it but that was before carl's hand touched hers to stop the girl. "don't take it off," he told her.

she chuckled and slightly tilted her head. "why?"

"because i like seeing you wear my hat." the boy smiled at the brunette. riley continued to gaze at him but cleared her throat when her heart started to race.

that has never happened before.

"i think i'm gonna go take a nap." she looked down and took off the hat. carl frowned at her actions but gave her a nod.

riley pushed some of the hay blocks away from her so that she can lay down. when she laid on her side so that her back was facing carl and the baby, she didn't feel comfortable or warm.

rick went over to his son to take judith from his hands and went back over to the others. carl stood up from his spot and was about to follow his dad until a voice stopped him from doing so.

"carl?" riley called out.

"yeah?"

"will you stay with me?"

carl glanced down at his shoes before turning around and walking back to the girl. "always," he whispered. carl laid down on his back, staring up at the ceiling next to her.

the two still didn't feel comfortable enough to sleep until riley turned around so that she was facing him.

the smith girl scooted closer to carl and rested her head on his chest, finding her arm being wrapped around his waist.

carl's breath hitched and his body went stiff for a moment. "goodnight," she mumbled. the grimes boy placed his hand on her back before closing his own eyes.

"goodnight, rye."

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

AUTHORS NOTE:

LOOK WHO FINALLY UPDATED... ME!!!

this chapter may be my favorite so far because riley and carl are so everlark coded here 😝

last chapter of "dark red" of 2023!! i really hope 2024 is good for all of us so lets manifest together lmaoao

update on my dog, she's doing better now! she needed to get surgery (scariest day of my life) but it was a success and the meds helped :)

please vote for the next chapter and DONT BE A GHOST READER <3