Iced coffee

The ice swished under his skates. Everything felt more free here, more alive. It had been such a long time that he felt like the ice called to him! Just a few weeks ago he was bored with being upon it. It was as if he had done everything he could accomplish within the area of this frozen space.

Now he swung to the side. His coach stood there with towel and drink in hand. Viktor took the towel, drying the sweat from his face. He pushed his mop of silver hair back, letting the towel soak up some of that as well. He sipped the water.

"That was beautiful!" Yakov beamed.

"Thank you! It has been wonderful to return here!" Viktor beamed up at the wide ceiling.

The last time he skated here he had been but a babe on the ice! Barely even able to manage to stand on his own twin blades as he held the hand of he beloved mother.

A tear formed in the corner of his eyes. He swiped it away with the towel. His mother was still a part of his life, it was just... well the love came with a price tag these days.

Viktor went back to go through the series of jumps one more time. As he came out of the practice he slipped his blade guards on.

"You know, Yakov, there used to be a diner near here. They had the best apple pie..." Viktor's blue eyes shined with delight.

"You're in training!" His grouchy coach commanded.

Yet, Viktor knew the man wasn't as mean as he sounded. With a giggle he draped his long lanky form over that of the being older man. He kissed the man's temple.

"Pllueese!!!" he wailed.

"Viktor, I swear!!" Yakov tried to remain stern as he shoved the long arms away.

"But you said it yourself just the other day! I haven't skated this good in years!" Viktor's eyes pleaded with the man.

"Get changed. We do need dinner!" Yakov pushed the laughing male toward the locker room.

"You are too soft on him, sir!" his assistant stated.

"Shush, let me deal with Viktor. You don't know what the boy has been through." Yakov turned away.

Viktor showered quickly. He blew his hair dry knowing that he couldn't afford any illnesses while he practiced. This was going to be his last season. He hadn't told Yakov yet, but he was done with skating. Or so he thought. Until he came back here, his heart hadn't been into the sport for some time.

He dressed in his dry training gear. His slim body filling out the tight clothing. He loved how it felt against his skin. Glancing in the mirror, Viktor was well aware of his striking good looks. They had gotten him the favor or many young women, as well as a few men. He was sure Yakov knew that he wasn't solely into the ladies. Not that he didn't mind them, but sometimes... Well, his eyes wondered...

Viktor was chuckling to himself as he came out of the locker room. Yakov was on the phone.

"He is doing splendid. This was a great idea to being him back to where he started." He was saying. Viktor rolled his eyes.

He knew just who the man was talking too. He snatched the phone away from the pudgy ear only long enough to press the speaker button. A shrill voice boomed out of the device.

"... married or even in a serious relationship! We will lose everything!" the woman yelled.

"Yes, yes I'm am aware of the complications with the inheritance!" Yakov gazed out as Viktor turned his own blue eyes away.

That haunted look was back. Yakov didn't know what to do about it. On the ice the boy was able to lose himself. He left his family drama behind. But here, in the real world it crashed around his young shoulders. He was talented, like nothing the coach had ever seen. Yet even that talent had a finite life to it. Viktor needed to be looking toward the end of his career.