Ice magic

Yuri wanted to sink beneath the floor. Minako! Why was she in his room? Why did she smell like last nights liquor store? Did she sleep in those clothes? He sighed. She had once been a rising star ballerina. Her partner dropped her, but held onto her leg. It resulted in the knee being torn, muscles, tendons, even the knee cap was out of place. After surgery, it just didn't heal right. The woman couldn't ever dance on it again. That was when the drinking started.

She eventually opened her own dancing studio. The drinking became less, but she still was drunk a lot of the time. Training, helping Yuri get to his potential, had helped her tremendously. Since his break from the ice, she was back to her old ways. It weighed heavy on him. He wondered if he was part of the problem?

"Yuri! This is cute!!!" Viktor squealed.

Before Yuri could turn around, his arm came over Yuri's shoulder. He was holding a picture. It was of Yuri, Yuuko and Takeshi. They couldn't be older than seven. He smiled at the memory of that day. It was their first competition, well in town on the outdoor pond!

"Oh, I remember this." Yuri took the photograph. Yuuko was holding the gold medal, he had silver and Takeshi was bronze.

Their families had gotten them. They were the only skaters interested in competing. Minako had taught them dance since they were in preschool. Yuri gushed out the memory of that day. How it had been Mari and Minako who set up the skating competition for the young skaters. He laughed as he recalled how many times he fell! Yet, he had never felt as he had, the day he did it at the grand prix.

He let out a sigh. Turning he smiled up at Viktor. "Care to see where I learned to skate?" he asked.

Viktor was like an overgrown puppy. He leapt about, giggling and jabbering something the others didn't catch. They all laughed at him. He ended up hugging Yuri tightly to him.

"I would love it!" He crowed.

Yuri chuckled. He turned to Maria. "My skates sharp?" he asked.

She snorted, pulling out her cigarettes. "Of course!" she hissed.

Once Yuri picked up his gear bag, the four of them walked out. They waited outside Viktor's room so he could get his bag. He came out in a completely new outfit!

"Why did you change?" Yuri asked.

"That wasn't my practice gear, this is. I don't wear outside close to a rink!" Viktor spoke with an air that exuded, everyone should know this.

Yuri snickered. Viktor eyed him. "You are going to change, yes?" he demanded in his thick accent.

"Of course he is. His gear is in that bag. Unless he left it in his own, personal, locker at the rink. Don't worry, he knows the rules too." Maria called her brother out.

"Shut it!" Yuri laughed at her.

They walked down the back stairs. Yuri feeling happier than he had in a long time. He was also thrilled, that they hadn't taken Viktor to the stairs were all his baby pictures were. Once in the drive, Viktor turned to wave to the car they had driven up here. Yuri caught his hand.

"No! It's tradition. We run." He insisted.

Viktor smiled at that. "Lead the way, my Yuri!" he cooed, taking the shorter man's hand.

Yuri laughed. He turned to call back to Maria, that they would be home for dinner. Maria waved her smoke at him. They ran toward the rink. The familiar ground striking at Yuri's feet. He giggled as Viktor clung to him.

"Hey, a beach!" Viktor cried.

"Yep. We have to run through it. Come on." Yuri turned off of the road. The sand pulled at their feet, making their legs work harder. Together they ran along it.