Home

The car ride was silent. Yuri glanced between the two people he rode with. Neither looked at the other. Viktor held tightly to Yuri's hand, while his mother gazed out the window. Yuri sighed. He turned away. They drove through heavily congested traffic. Yuri was glad to see some of the delightfully, beautiful Russian architecture. The buildings were amazing.

Yet, he didn't comment on them. Even he was wary of breaking the silence inside the car. The street began to clear of traffic, as they headed out of town. The city landscape drifted into wider lawns that were more well maintained. The houses grew larger the further away they got. Finally, they turned onto, what Yuri thought, was a road. It turned out to be the longest driveway he had ever been on.

The house was bigger than any single house Yuri had ever seen! This was all made worse by the fact he grew up in a spa! This mansion could fit two of his spas in it, with room to spare. Yuri couldn't help but to stare.

"It isn't mine, none of it. It's my grandfather's." The unusually quiet voice spoke next to him.

Yuri tore his gaze from the impressive house.

"I didn't know houses could get that big!" He gasped.

"Didn't you live in America for a time?" The woman across from him asked.

"Yes, but I never saw single houses like this! I was in Detroit, not Malibu!" Yuri cried.

The woman scuffed. "Another, uneducated, sex fiend. Really, Vicky? Is that all you desire?" The woman glared at Viktor.

"No mother, but it was the role models you set up for me, you know, during my formative years." Viktor shot back. For the first time, ever, Yuri heard some bite to his words.

He didn't say anything as the door was opened. The woman didn't respond to Viktor. She took the offered hand of the chauffer, to climb out of the car. Viktor pushed Yuri to follow. He got out last. Taking Yuri's hand he smiled. It was like the sun coming out after a long rainy day.

"There's something I want to show you!" Viktor cried.

"Come see your grandfather, first." His mother barked at him.

"No!" Viktor told her. He pulled Yuri with him. Makkachin, delightedly, ran at their heels.

Viktor laughed, looking back as Yuri hurried to keep up with him. The shinning light in those blue eyes was all the dark haired skater, needed to see. He smiled, a laugh escaping him. They ran together into a very, very small patch of trees behind the house. In the center, you could still see the house, Viktor stopped.

He looked up into the branches of one tree. "Did I ever tell you, my grandfather had eighteen children." Viktor looked back at Yuri.

"Four different wives and six mistresses that we know of." He added.

"Wow!" Yuri couldn't think of anything else to say.

"My grandfather was my mother's father. He was also..." Viktor untied a role hidden in the branches of a tree.

A large wooden platform began to lower as the rope slipped through his hands. Viktor watched it coming down. When it was just above their heads, he continued to speak.

"... my father's uncle. My mother and father were first cousins, but didn't know it until two days after I was born." He said.

The platform settled into the ground. Makkachin already jumping onto it. Viktor stepped up, holding a hand out to Yuri. The boy took it. Once upon the platform, Viktor began to pull on the rope. Yuri helped him, as they ascended into the tree's branches.

"My parents meet while away at school. It wasn't until they returned for a break, that they decided to introduce each other to their parents. But that was put on hold as I was born nearly three months early." Viktor said.