Chapter 4: Losing Control

"Do you think there's any chance we run into Dooku while we're on Tythe?"

Luke, Obi-Wan, and Anakin stood together in the hanger of the ship as they approached the planet Tythe. Luke, hearing the black edge in Anakin's voice as he said Dooku's name, turned to look at him curiously. "Who's Dooku?"

Anakin's eyes flashed, though Luke was relieved the brief flare of anger wasn't directed at him. Obi-Wan was the one who answered his question. "He's the Sith Apprentice to this Darth Sidious. We've had a few...run-ins with him, though we haven't been successful in catching him yet."

Luke nodded, processing the information as he studied his father for a moment. "I'm guessing he's also the same one that took your arm."

Anakin nodded, the dark look lingering in his eyes for a moment before he re-gathered himself. "If we come across him it's probably best you don't get involved, Luke."

Luke crossed his arms over his chest, cocking an eyebrow challengingly. "Won't you need help?" he tried to point out.

Anakin shook his head. "Obi-Wan and I can handle him. You might end up getting seriously hurt if you come along. When I was a Padawan, I was lucky I lasted as long as I did against him, and that was with ten years of Jedi training under Obi-Wan. Now it's been three more years of Dooku getting stronger, and with the extent of your training, getting hurt is the best thing that could happen to you in that situation."

Luke didn't argue further; he got the picture. "So what am I going to do?"

Anakin shrugged. "I guess we'll have to see where you're needed."

Luke sighed. "All right."

Obi-Wan looked at him curiously. "So, something I was wondering ...with how little training you had...when did you start your training?"

Luke turned to him. "When I was nineteen."

Both Jedi seemed shocked. "Oh, come on; the Council barely took me in when I was nine, and you're telling me you started your training at nineteen without any questions?" Anakin complained. "What's up with that?"

"Well, first of all, the Order didn't exist anymore, my aunt and uncle had been killed, and the house burned to the ground so I had nowhere to go. Obi-Wan was going to go on a rescue mission on a highly guarded space station and was going to need help at his age, plus Obi-Wan had promised to train me, which only seemed right after he told me my father was also a Jed—" Luke suddenly clamped his mouth shut with an audible click, realizing he'd said too much. "Oh Force," he muttered.

"Your father was a Jedi?" Obi-Wan asked sharply.

Luke looked at them warily. "Yeah, he was."

"What happened to him?" Anakin asked.

"It's a sensitive subject," Luke said simply. He made sure his mental shields were up high and strong, even if they weren't the best.

The other Jedi realized how uncomfortable the current direction of conversation was for Luke and backed off. "Alright, if it bothers you then we'll leave it alone," Obi-Wan said.

"Thank you."

********************************************************************************************

The ship came out of light speed and the first thing the three Jedi registered were the Separatist ships that plagued the space in front of them, all clogged above the planet Tythe. No one had to give an order; everyone was already rushing to their fighters. As the three made their way to the fighters they would be using—Luke borrowing a clone's fighter while Obi-Wan and Anakin used their Jedi fighters—Anakin turned his head sharply in one direction. "Dooku's here; just as I suspected he might be," he growled.