Chapter 15: Dueling and an Invitation

Three weeks later, Luke was sparring with Anakin at the end of another one of their training sessions. Luke had advanced rather rapidly, though he was still far from perfect. The other masters, having noticed how he was quickly gaining ground in his Djem So training, had offered to teach Luke their own mastered styles as well. Even Windu had offered in passing in one of the Temple's halls to teach Luke his own self-created style of Vaapad, though Luke had the suspicion it was only because Yoda suggested he did. Either way, Luke had accepted his offer, and started training with Windu. At first the air between the two had been very tense, with Windu watching him closely with obvious reluctance and mistrust. However, Luke had noticed that Windu was gradually warming up to him and he was pleased he was getting on the Council Member's good side.

Between the lessons, Luke had spent time with Anakin whenever he wasn't with Sidious, and they even went flying again when they had the time. A few times Luke had also gone with Anakin to see Padmé again, and Luke had definitely enjoyed the extra time he got to spend with his mother. In fact, he was looking forward to having dinner with them again tonight after Anakin got back from a meeting with Sidious this afternoon.

Now, however, Luke evenly met his father's smug gaze as they stood face to face, lightsabers out, an electric tension jumping in the air as if everything around them was holding its breath in anticipation. Neither of them broke eye contact as they slowly circled each other.

Luke moved first.

In a blinding flash of light the lightsabers clashed, Anakin quickly reacting to block Luke's advance as he moved to slip in his own retaliation. Luke slid out of his offensive stance and defended against Anakin's advance quickly, spinning away to reassess the situation. Anakin didn't give him much time to do so, advancing on Luke just as swiftly as Luke had retreated. They reengaged, the saber blades moving in rapid succession. Anakin smiled, his eyes glinting with excitement as they moved across the floor, just who was leading the duel switching back and forth at dizzying speeds. Their lightsabers locked, Anakin pressing down on Luke's blade as Luke pushed up, trapping them in a brief battle of wills. Anakin managed to push Luke back, breaking the lock and allowing the pair to return to the back and forth between defense and offense as Anakin pushed Luke back to the center of the room once again. Luke grinned at Anakin as the pace of their blows sped up a little more.

Right now their sparring sessions only consisted of using their lightsaber skills; they weren't supposed to use the Force in these duel. That way the winner could be determined solely on their skills with the lightsaber, and no other factors would come into play. So far, Luke hadn't won a single one of their sparring sessions, but he planned on this particular duel ending differently.

Once again their lightsabers locked, and they pushed against each other.

"Well, you're definitely getting better, Luke," Anakin told him with a smile, still pushing against Luke to break the lock.

"I try," Luke responded, keeping his expression perfectly smooth.

"But not good enough to best me," Anakin chuckled as he slid his saber lower, dodging Luke's descending blade and disarming him with a flick of his wrist. He held the blade up at Luke's chest for a moment before chuckling and dropping the humming blade, calling Luke's fallen lightsaber to his hand via the Force. He handed Luke his lightsaber as Anakin put his own up. "But I'm sure you'll get there."

Luke rolled his eyes. "I bet I could beat you if you didn't limit the style to only Djem So."

"Ah, but that's the style you're practicing with me. I want you progressing in that form while you're here, so you're going to focus on that one in these spars," Anakin replied slyly.