Chapter 14: Bonding

Luke made his way over to the cafeteria, spotting Obi-Wan sitting alone in one of the corners waiting for him. Luke suddenly had the strong urge to bolt, but he didn't follow through. As that thought crossed his mind, Obi-Wan caught his eyes and waved Luke over.

Almost droid-like, Luke made his way over to Obi-Wan, trying to calm his frayed nerves. This was going to be an interesting talk, to say the least.

As Luke took his seat Obi-Wan watched him intently, and Luke found himself under an all too familiar sharp scrutiny. The silence was maddening, but Luke remained quiet until Obi-Wan finally spoke up.

"Care to explain what that was?" he asked softly.

"Um...where should I start?" Luke asked sheepishly.

"How about with the Skywalker part; is your last name really Skywalker?" Apparently Obi-Wan needed to hear it from Luke himself.

"Yes."

"And your father, the...the Sith. Was that...?"

Obviously he couldn't bring himself to finish the sentence.

"Anakin? Yes...it was..."

Obi-Wan let out a breath he had apparently been holding, eyes closed. "What happened?"

Luke sighed, running a hand through his hair as he tried to think of what to say. Oh Force, how do I explain what I don't even fully understand myself?

"I...don't know the whole story. Not yet anyway...all I know is that he was desperate to save my mother from a vision he'd had of her dying, and the Emperor took advantage of his desperation and used it to manipulate him. At least that's what I've gathered so far, in a nutshell. I'm still trying to figure out the specifics myself," Luke finally said.

"That's the other thing I don't understand; Emperor? Who? How?" Obi-Wan asked in exasperation.

Luke shook his head. "A lot of careful planning and very suddenly, that's the best I can explain. He wiped out the Jedi, decimated the Separatists, and then reformed the Republic into the Galactic Empire. It happened too fast for anyone to grasp just what had happened, I believe."

Obi-Wan sat back, noting how Luke had purposely jumped around the who part. Luke suddenly looked older than he was and drained.

"Your mother...it's Padmé, isn't it?" Obi-Wan asked quietly.

Luke blinked in surprise. "Is it that obvious?"

Obi-Wan chuckled weakly. "With Anakin, it isn't that hard to figure out."

Luke sighed. "I promised him I wouldn't tell anyone."

Obi-Wan seemed startled. "Anakin knows? He doesn't act like he does."

Luke shook his head. "No, he doesn't know any of it really; just the part about a Sith Empire replacing the Republic. The Force doesn't want him to know yet...he doesn't even know I'm his son."

Obi-Wan leaned across the table. "So I'm guessing you want me to keep this to myself?"

Luke glanced away, unable to meet Obi-Wan's intent gaze. "Yes...I talked to Master Yoda about all of this and he said that the Force had a time for him to find out."

"Master Yoda knows?" Surprise flickered across Obi-Wan's gaze as he spoke.

Luke nodded. "I think he found out when he first saw me in the Council Room. I've talked to him about it a little since."

Obi-Wan rubbed his beard as he sat back, deep in thought. Luke let him have his moment; he had a lot to go over.

"So your true purpose—the real reason that the Force brought you here—is to give Anakin a second chance, isn't it? Not really to fill the gaps in your training, as you let the Council assume," Obi-Wan stated.