Chapter 9: Padmé Naberrie Amidala...Skywalker

The three Jedi had escorted the chancellor back to the Senate Building—with Luke taking care to keep his distance from the Sith—and now, as the chancellor strode away among a gaggle of senators, Obi-Wan and Anakin bantered back and forth in a verbal fight of compliments that Luke supposed was somehow meant to decide who got to spend the day with the senators. It amused him to watch, especially when his father eventually admitted defeat.

"All right, but you owe me! And not for saving your skin for the tenth time!" Anakin told Obi-Wan with a smirk.

"Ninth time," Obi-Wan corrected him. "That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't...doesn't count. I'll see you at the briefing," Obi-Wan said with a smile and wave of his hand.

"I'll come with you, Anakin," Luke piped up, stepping past Obi-Wan off of the shuttle to stand next to his father.

"Are you sure? Politicians tend to be a bit...much," Anakin replied.

"Hey, my sister's a politician!" Luke said, feigning offense.

Obi-Wan chuckled and Anakin blushed a little. "Well, I didn't know that!" Anakin said in defense.

Luke grinned. "It's fine; she can be a bit much herself," Luke laughed.

"Well, then you see my point," Anakin said.

Obi-Wan shook his head in amusement. "I will see you two at the Temple later. The Council will want to meet you Luke." With that he left on the same shuttle they'd arrived on, and Luke fell into step just a little behind his father as they were swamped by senators congratulating and complimenting them, as well as voicing their own concerns and opinions on the war. Luke just nodded and smiled, leaving all the talking to his father since Anakin was the one who actually knew what was going on in the war. Luke had only been involved in three battles so far, and he'd mostly been on the sidelines for all three by now.

Eventually, most of the senators dispersed, and Anakin and Luke found themselves walking with a Senator from Alderaan. Luke hadn't been paying enough attention to get his name, though.

"The fighting will continue until General Grievous is...spare parts," Anakin was saying to the man. The lapse in his father's statement caused Luke to glance curiously at him, trying to figure out what had caused Anakin's focus to waver.

"Well, I will do everything I can in the Senate," the Alderaan Senator replied.

A smile was gradually growing on Anakin's face and he waved a goodbye at the two a little as he struggled to control his expressions. "Excuse me for a moment," he said, backing away.

"Certainly," said the senator. Luke was trying to figure out why Anakin was ditching him when he knew that Luke wasn't even from this time period; what was he supposed to do?

Luke was going to continue on, thinking that he'd disobeyed and annoyed his father enough today, before he had a feeling he should stay behind. Obeying the feeling, Luke drew into the shadows as Anakin ran over to someone who was hiding in the darkness of one of the Senate Building pillars, and Luke stayed just within in range to hear and see everything but where he wouldn't be dangerously close. He watched in surprise as Anakin picked up the second figure in a tight hug, twirling them around in the air before setting them back down. Realization started to fall over the stunned Luke as the two shared a kiss in the shadows, and Luke blushed as he realized he was intruding on a very, very private reunion.

Mother.

"Oh, Anakin." The sweet voice fell upon Luke's ears, and he was filled with a rush of warmth as he heard his mother's voice for the first time. The couple embraced and she sighed again in relief.