Chapter 28: All's Fair in Love and War

For a moment, there was only tense silence besides hum of the sapphire, emerald, and ruby lightsabers. Suddenly, with a snarl, Sidious lashed out, feigning an attack towards Anakin before slashing at Luke. With that, a lightsaber duel started right there in the Chancellor's Office, father and son against the Sith Lord who, in Luke's time, had destroyed their lives.

Luke kept glancing at his father throughout the fight, worried. Anakin's anger was fluxing, and it was obvious he was fighting to keep out of the dark side's influence. He could understand it, however, as Luke was having struggles of his own to keep his feelings in check.

Luke's attention was brought back to the present as he narrowly being gutted by a slash across the stomach, moving his lightsaber up to block the fast moving red blade before Sidious quickly switched his trajectory back towards Anakin. Luke had grossly underestimated the man when it came to skills with a lightsaber. Saying Sidious was terrible at wielding the blade because of his age was like saying Yoda was useless in his old age. Now it took both Skywalkers to hold off the Sith, and even then he was pushing the two back towards the office.

Luke couldn't help but notice as Sidious took another swipe at him that the Sith Lord's attention seemed to be focused on Luke. The revelation was rather unsettling to Luke, and he took care to not become separated from his father.

Sidious pushed them back into the office, and there was a brief lull in the fighting where the three watched each other closely.

"Now, Anakin, we can spare ourselves this mess if you would just accept your fate," Sidious chided. Luke felt his temper soar every time Sidious goaded or tempted his father, and Luke was finding it hard to keep that temper under control.

"Stop trying Sidious, I will not become your lap dog!" Anakin said firmly, suddenly lunging forward in an attack. Luke hastily followed up his father's advance, but Sidious knocked them aside effortlessly, smiling in a way that made Luke feel sick.

"Surely you both know you cannot defeat me? The power of the dark side, my power, is so much more significant than your petty skills." Sidious' voice came out in a hiss.

"Why, Sidious, you underestimate us," Anakin said sharply, using a Force Push to send Sidious back in an attempt to gain an advantage on him. However, Sidious recovered quickly, and immediately used a Force Wave. Luke and his father were forced apart, slammed into the walls.

Dazed, Luke struggled to focus on what was happening. Dimly, he heard Sidious speak, though it was not directed toward either of the stunned Jedi. The Sith Lord had moved quickly at his opportunity, it seemed, to make contact with the clones.

"The time has come! Execute Order 66."

Luke struggled to his feet, weaving dangerously but fueled by his sudden, fierce determination. "No!" he shouted, launching himself forward towards Sidious. In his peripherals, Luke could see Anakin getting to his feet as well.

Sidious spun around, narrowly missing Luke's lightsaber as it came crashing down, cutting off the connection immediately. Luke twisted back around, barely stopping Sidious' blade once more. Sidious pushed Luke back with the Force again, though this time Luke didn't slam against the wall. Panic was coursing through his veins as he stood once more. Sidious had given the order; the Jedi all over the galaxy were officially in danger. Sidious had turned his attention on Anakin, so Luke took the opportunity to contact Windu back at the Temple.

"Master Windu! Are you there?" Luke called into the comlink.

"Luke! What's happening?" Windu asked sternly.

"Sidious just gave the command; there's going to be an attack on the Temple any moment now. You have to warn the others that are spread over the galaxy while they have a chance!"