Chapter 30: Aftermath

"Anakin...I had no idea...I'm sorry..." Obi-Wan said quietly.

It had been two days since Sidious and Luke had died. Obi-Wan had left Anakin alone upon Anakin's request until Anakin felt he was ready for visitors. Though his sorrow was still heavy and the pain was still all too real, he had felt he needed to see his close friend. At first the conversation had been awkward, but Obi-Wan had finally managed to ask his question about Anakin's mother's death. With all of the fresh loss, it had been a rough subject to broach, though somehow Anakin had managed to get out the full story to his former Master.

The two sat in silence for several moments following Obi-Wan's statement. "It's...all right, Obi-Wan, it's not your fault."

Obi-Wan shook his head. "Yes, well, I was the one who told you to dismiss your dreams about your mother. If I would have let you act on them the entire mess could have been avoided," Obi-Wan said with a mournful tone.

Anakin sighed. "It can't be changed, Obi-Wan: it happened, and that's the end of it."

Obi-Wan nodded. "You're right, Anakin, it's just...I wish you would have told me sooner...there's so much I wish you would have told me sooner."

"I know, Master, I just believed it was necessary for me to keep these things to myself...I kept telling myself I would tell someone when I was ready, but I never was."

Obi-Wan sighed, obviously tired of the grim conversation. "The healers said that you should be well enough soon to get up and move around. It will be good for you to get out of this room."

Anakin nodded, his eyes drifting back to his wall for a moment. "Yes...I would like that."

Obi-Wan was silent for a few moments longer before Anakin heard him clear his throat, his gaze coming back to rest on his friend. "The...rest of the Order has found out about your marriage and Padmé's current condition."

Anakin frowned deeply, an exhausted worry etched in his face. "They're going to kick me out of the Order, aren't they? The Council?"

Obi-Wan sat back. "I think they would like to...but I feel the Force has other plans."

Anakin felt a jolt of shock go through him. "I would have thought they would kick me out whether the Force wills otherwise or not."

Obi-Wan chuckled. "No one dares argue with Master Yoda on the matter again."

Anakin sat back slowly. "All right then...I guess that's one less thing to worry about..."

"We're also moving back to Coruscant soon—tomorrow if we're lucky," Obi-Wan said, standing with a sigh.

Yoda had gone to Coruscant after he had escaped the attack at Kashyyyk and had been discussing with the Senate calling off the clones. The Senate—in chaos after everything with Sidious—was still trying to regain order, though had managed to restrain the clones by electing a temporary chancellor that had called off Order 66. It was possible there was going to be a complete re-election for all the senatorial positions, seeing as Sidious had a number of senators in his pocket before his demise.

"According to Windu, the Temple is a little damaged, but it should be easy to repair," Obi-Wan continued, stopping Anakin's thought process.

Anakin sighed. "That's good news; at least it wasn't completely destroyed."

Obi-Wan put his hand on Anakin's shoulder. "I have to go now. I'll see you later, Anakin, all right?"

Anakin nodded. "Of course," he said softly.

***********************************************************************

The next day, as Anakin was in the process of getting ready to head back to Coruscant with Obi-Wan, one of the Jedi Padawans came running up to him, a holoprojector in his hands. "M-master Skywalker: this is for you—it's urgent!"