Chapter 25: Preparations

Anakin and Luke promptly left for Padmé's once the Council Meeting was over. Thankfully, the Council had accepted Luke's plans—every last one of them—as well as the alterations and suggestions Anakin had made. There was still much to do, so the two Skywalkers were making time for the conversation with Padmé while they still could.

However, Luke still had some remaining questions about the part of the Council Meeting he hadn't been a part of. So, he waited until they were on their way to Padmé's apartment to corner Anakin.

"How come that meeting was so long?" Luke asked Anakin curiously.

"Some of the members were skeptical that we need to raise our defenses, one or two simply don't trust you enough, and Windu was Windu. Though Yoda, Obi-Wan, and I were able to convince them otherwise, with a lot of effort on our part might I add."

Luke waited for Anakin to continue, but his father said nothing. "You're not going to give me the details, are you?"

"Nope."

Luke rolled his eyes, settling back into his seat. "Sheltering me, I see. You were quick to slip into the fatherly role."

Anakin chuckled. "You need it."

Luke was silent for a few moments, thinking carefully before he spoke. "How do you think Mother will react to the news?"

"Very emotionally."

Luke laughed. "Well of course emotionally, she's pregnant!"

Anakin snickered. "I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about, Luke, she already cares deeply about you."

"And yet I still feel nervous."

Anakin rolled his eyes. "You'll be fine, calm yourself. Besides, it's too late to back out now, we're here," Anakin chuckled as he landed the speeder. Luke could feel the perspiration start to gather on the back of his neck as the two climbed out of the vehicle.

Anakin elbowed him gently. "Lighten up, Luke; you'll be fine, what's the worst that could happen?"

I am being rather ridiculous right now, Luke mused as he followed Anakin inside, lingering at the entrance to the veranda to give the two a moment.

Anakin wrapped Padmé up in his arms as he approached her and Luke heard him take a deep breath, one hand on Padmé's stomach while the other tangled in her hair. "I've missed you," he murmured softly, kissing her forehead.

Padmé smiled up at him, twining her fingers with Anakin's over her stomach. "We've missed you, too," she said with a small smile, and they both stood in silence for a few seconds, hands on Padmé's abdomen before Anakin spoke.

"Luke's out of the medical wing," he announced, gesturing for Luke to come over.

Padmé's eyes lit up when she saw him. "Oh good; I was so worried about you! I would have come to visit, but I didn't think walking into a building full of Jedi was smart since I'm trying to hide my condition."

Before Luke could respond Anakin spoke again. "I found out some rather interesting news yesterday, and we came to tell you."

"You did?" she asked, looking between them. "What is it?"

Luke took a deep breath when Anakin didn't respond and instead looked to Luke. "You might want to sit down...Mother."

Absolute shock registered on Padmé's features as she stared at Luke, then up at Anakin. After a few long moments, Padmé gently pulled away from Anakin and walked up to Luke, who held perfectly still. She inspected him silently and much more carefully than she had at any point since Luke had arrived. He remained as calm as possible, though slightly nervous, meeting his mother's brown eyed gaze with his own electric blue eyes.