Chapter 17: Danger on the Horizon

"Luke, may I come in?"

Luke sighed at the sound of his father's voice. By now he had managed to regain his composure, but he was still rather shaken. Even though Luke gave him no response, Anakin quietly slipped inside of his room. Luke kept his eyes closed as his father sat beside him, having just come out of his meditational state and conversation with Qui-Gon. Anakin sighed. "Are you all right?"

"I am now," Luke said as evenly as he could manage. He'd just had a rather...interesting talk with Qui-Gon about what he should do now that Sidious knew Luke was taking steps to hinder the SIth's grand plan. Right now, Luke had to admit that Qui-Gon was right; it was probably best to lie low for a while until things calmed down once again. The last thing they needed was for Sidious to decide Luke was too much of a threat to be left alive any, and Luke wasn't too keen for the Sith Lord to start trying to kill him—again—yet. At that thought, Luke had to force himself not to subconsciously rub his throat.

Anakin sighed. "Palpatine said that you got really upset when he mentioned something about giving the Order more power—"

"He said nothing about giving more power to the Order," Luke scoffed, surprising himself his tone of voice. Silently he went to calming himself down again, and though Anakin raised an eyebrow at his tone, he didn't say anything about it.

"Well then if that wasn't the reason, then what was?" Anakin asked. Luke could tell by his tone of voice that Anakin was skeptical, doubtful of which story he should believe.

Luke sighed, running a hand through his hair before tiredly rubbing his eyes. "I-I..." he made a sound of frustration. He was going to have to get ahold of himself. "Anakin, please listen to me when I say don't trust Palpatine. I-I can't explain it right now, but you have to believe me; you can't trust him."

"Luke, I've grown tired of you telling me to do something without giving me any explanation of why, saying that you can't tell me. And now you're scared to death—don't lie, I can see it in your eyes—and still you can't tell me?" Anakin asked in an irritated tone of voice.

Luke sighed, standing up. "I know that there is a time for you to learn what I haven't revealed yet. Believe me, I want you to know, but there is a time and a place for it; I know there is."

Of course the extensive talk I just had with Qui-Gon is most of the reason why I know that with such certainty, Luke thought.

Anakin made an exasperated sound and his tone shifted to anger. "Yes, but when, Luke? I can tell you need help, and it's obvious whatever you have to tell is important, yet you still won't say! Forget the Force, if it's so important then you need to tell someone!"

"Anakin," Luke said calmly, watching as Anakin paced a rut in the floor.

Anakin blinked, and then managed to regain his composure. "I'm sorry, Luke, I shouldn't have snapped like that...I don't know what came over me..." he mumbled.

"It's fine, Anakin, I understand your frustration," Luke told him with a soft sigh. "However, I will be fine until that time comes, I can assure you of that."

"Will you be alright now? With...whatever happened?" Anakin pressed.

"Yes, just...no more meetings without asking me first, all right?"

Anakin gave a weak, short laugh. "Deal. Now come on, I believe Padmé is making dinner for us."

Luke was pleased to see that as they left Anakin was in deep thought. The only thing he let himself worry about for the rest of the night was which side was winning in the battle for Anakin's soul: Luke or Sidious?