Chapter 23: Luke's Nightmare

Luke stood in Sidious' office, lightning sparking everywhere around him as Master Windu struggled to keep the lightning bursting forth from Sidious' fingertips from hitting him. Luke stood frozen by his father's side, nauseous.

"He is the traitor!" Windu shouted, struggling to keep the intense lightning away from his body.

"I have the power to save the one you love!" Sidious told Anakin. "You must choose!"

"Don't listen to him, Anakin!" Windu called.

"Don't let him kill me!" Sidious begged as Anakin pulled out his lightsaber, still torn between the two. "I can't hold him any longer! I-I-I c-can't...help...too weak...Anakin! Help me! Help me! I-I-I can't...hold on...any longer..."

Sidious' words riled Luke to action, and he came to his father's side, wanting desperately to talk reason into the other Jedi's mind. "Father, he's lying, please, you must see that it's a ploy! He's perfectly capable, he's just trying to bait you."

Sidious' lightning stopped sparking, and Windu held his lightsaber level at Sidious' chest. "I am going to end this, once and for all!"

"You can't!" Anakin replied sharply, drawing everyone's attention to him. "He must stand trial!"

While a noble move, Luke knew it was misguided, and in this case it only caused him distress to hear his father argue in favor of the Sith.

"He has control of the Senate and the Courts! He's too dangerous to be left alive!" Windu argued.

"I'm too weak...oh...don't kill me, please!" Sidious gasped. Luke looked at Sidious in disgust, repulsed by his pathetic show to convince Anakin he was the one in the right.

"It's not the Jedi way! He must live!" Anakin snapped, and Luke could see that the other Skywalker was getting desperate, but Windu was no longer listening to him.

"Please don't!" Sidious begged.

"I need him!" Anakin cried, the desperation dripping in his tone.

"Please don't!" Sidious said once again as Windu went to strike him down.

"NO!" Anakin shouted.

"Father, no!" Luke cried out, trying to grasp Anakin's arm to stop him. His hands only went right through Anakin, as if Luke was nothing but a ghost. So, he was forced to watch as Anakin whipped out his lightsaber and fluidly cut off Windu's sword hand.

Sidious leapt at the opportunity, grinning evilly. "POWER!" he screamed, striking the defenseless Mace Windu with a fresh, deadly volley of Sith Lightning. "UNLIMITED POWER!"

Luke watched helplessly as Anakin stumbled backwards, coming quickly to his father's side and trying unsuccessfully to place a hand on Anakin's shoulder. Windu went flying out the window as all of this transpired, courtesy of the Emperor. "What have I done?" Anakin cried out, and there was such anguish in his tone that Luke felt tears prick at his eyes.

"You are fulfilling your destiny, Anakin," Sidious purred as he slowly got to his feet, coming to stand in front of Anakin. Anakin bowed his head, breathing heavily. "Become my apprentice...learn to use the dark side of the Force."

"Don't do it, don't listen to him," Luke begged his father, kneeling down beside the man.

"I will do whatever you...ask," Anakin panted out, much to Luke's despair.

"Good," Sidious hissed.

The pain and suffering was evident in Anakin's face. "Just help me save Padmé's life...I can't live without her!"