Chapter 26: Emotions Running High

Pain.

Oh Force, the pain!

Luke had thought the pain from losing his hand was bad, or the experience of Sidious killing him slowly with Sith Lightning, but no, this was far worse.

The familiar pain of lightning was there tenfold, and then suddenly there erupted a new pain he couldn't place an origin to because it was so all-consuming.

The agony was like dying in a brutal, unforgiving manner.

Sidious' laughter cackled distantly in the background, and Luke heard screams as the torment continued.

**********************************************************************************

"Gah, no!" Luke cried out, lurching free of the nightmare and bolting up in bed. He panted, sweat glistening against his skin as he stared wildly around the room, eyes inspecting the dark corners and windows, senses stretched out to sense any possible danger or unwelcome Force Signature.

Nothing.

Luke threw off the covers, getting out of bed and running a hand through his matted hair. He still had the shadow of the pain he'd experienced from in the dream, and he struggled to get his breathing back under control. Luke went over to his bedroom window, staring out over Coruscant while he rubbed one of the many spots that burned.

What I wouldn't give to talk to Leia or Han right now...or my time's Ben, Luke couldn't help but think. He raised a shaking hand, watching it tremble for a few moments before he turned his attention elsewhere once again. He sat down on the floor, attempting to meditate and calm himself down before he even thought about going back to bed.

When he nearly fell asleep there on the floor, he got back up, hands steady once more as he pulled back the covers to get in bed.

Luke's last thought before he fell into a much more peaceful sleep wasn't a cheery one.

I feel sorry for anyone who suffers such a fate.

*************************************************************************************

The next morning Luke was tired and uneasy, skittish even as Anakin and he made their way to see Obi-Wan off to Utapau.

Anakin glanced at him a few times. "What's wrong?"

Luke shook his head. "Bad dream last night."

"About..?"

He sighed. "I don't know really, there was just...a lot of pain."

Anakin put an arm around Luke's shoulders. "Don't worry about it; we'll be fine. Sidious won't get away; when we find him we'll stop him."

Luke smiled up at him. "I know."

Anakin nodded over to Obi-Wan, who wasn't that far away. "Come on, we should probably hurry: he's got to leave soon."

"Of course."

The two sped up their pace. "Obi-Wan!" Anakin called with a wave of his hand, reaching Obi-Wan just as the man was about to leave.

Obi-Wan smiled at the two of them. "So you two did decide to come and see me off. I was beginning to wonder if you would ever show up."

Anakin returned the smile. "Yeah, well, we were a little held up. Luke took extra-long to get ready this morning."

"Hey! I did not!" Luke protested.

Obi-Wan chuckled, and turning his attention back to Anakin as Anakin spoke once more.

"Are you feeling up to this? Going to face Grievous on your own?" Anakin asked Obi-Wan with true sincerity.