Chapter 10: The Jedi Temple and Council

"We're here. Come on, Luke."

Luke, startled from his train of thought, stood up with his father and looked up at the magnificent building that was spiraling into the air above him. It took all of his self-control not to let his jaw drop.

He had his work cut out for him to restore this building in his own timeline. He apparently hadn't truly realized just how badly it had been damaged during the purges.

Anakin chuckled at his reaction, putting a hand on his shoulder and steering him up the steps. As soon as they entered the Temple, Luke started taking in every nook and cranny in pure awe.

Having his work cut out for him was an understatement; this place was astounding in its prime.

However, when Luke noticed that his stares were starting to draw attention, he quickly covered up his awe and tried to make his scanning of the place a lot more discreet.

Anakin smiled a little bit. "How about I give you a tour whenever we're done in here, hmm? Well, if things go accordingly, that is."

Luke rolled his eyes. "That's very reassuring of you."

"You're welcome."

After winding down several hallways that Luke would have gotten lost navigating had he been on his own, his father finally stopped Luke outside two familiar large double doors. Well, slightly familiar, considering this part of the Temple looked so much better than what it did in Luke's time. When Luke realized his father wasn't walking in and hadn't even knocked, Luke raised an eyebrow, about to ask him what they were doing.

"They know we're here," Anakin said simply before Luke could even get the question out.

Oh, yes, that helps me calm my nerves, Luke thought. However, he simply nodded at Anakin's statement, turning his attention back to the doors with a nervous fidget of his feet.

"You'll be fine; just stay truthful and don't annoy them. Or in other words, don't do what I do," Anakin said with a laugh. There was a small, sour edge to his tone, and Luke glanced at him with a worried and questioning expression on his face.

This time, however, his impending question was cut off when the doors in front of them opened by use of the Force, and Anakin gently nudged Luke forward. Almost robotically, Luke slowly walked into the circular room, admiring how it looked and feeling very small under the eyes of the Jedi High Council. He searched the circle of seats for familiar faces, and was relieved to come up with two: Obi-Wan and Yoda. He was curious as to why his father stayed by the door and didn't take a seat, though he was quick to realize that Anakin was not a member of the Council. That was strange; Luke had thought that he was.

Luke was drawn from his thoughts as Yoda—still old but not as old as when Luke had met him—spoke up.

"Curious, your presence is in the galaxy," Yoda started. "Some interesting things, Master Kenobi has told us."

Luke was relieved it was Yoda who spoke, and not one of the other members of the Council. Besides Obi-Wan, he was the only master here that Luke was really comfortable with. Luke nodded his understanding, waiting patiently and respectfully for Yoda to continue.

"From the future, you say you are? The only Jedi, as well?" Yoda asked curiously.

"Yes, Master Yoda, I'm afraid so," Luke said seriously.

"Luke, is it?" A man who Luke recognized as Master Mace Windu from the old Temple Archives cut in. When Luke nodded, Mace pressed further. "Is there more to your name than that?"