Chapter 18: Assassination

"So how's your training going, Luke?" Padmé asked him as they cleared up the table after the dinner.

Luke smiled a little. "Very well, actually. Anakin's been gone quite a bit recently so I haven't had that much progress in my Djem So lightsaber form, though I've definitely made bounds in my other forms."

"That's good, I'm glad to hear that."

Padmé was definitely starting to show; the fact that she'd kept her pregnancy secret thus far impressed him. It seemed to Luke she had an endless number of outfits to hide her condition.

Anakin came back into the room at that moment, having left to take a call from Obi-Wan. The Council was going to meet tomorrow to discuss the war, and that was when he was going to give the Council the information he'd received from Sidious.

"It's getting late. Perhaps it's time for you to turn in, don't you think, Luke? I believe Windu wanted to meet you early in the morning for your training with him. You're going to need your rest," Anakin told Luke.

Luke shook his head, chuckling a little under his breath. "Yeah, I suppose you're right; training sessions with Master Windu can be brutal. And I am rather tired..."

Anakin almost smiled. "Yes, well, go on and get some sleep; we'll see you in the morning."

Luke stood straight, turning to leave the room. "Don't have too much fun without me," he joked.

"Goodnight, Luke," Anakin said.

"Yes, goodnight," Padmé chimed.

"Night," Luke said, drifting off to the spare room he'd been allowed to occupy since he'd first arrived. He pulled back the covers of the bed, throwing his shirt over the back of a chair. The shades on the window were left open, letting Luke have a perfect view of Coruscant. Wandering over to the window, Luke looked out over the city lights, taking it in with a small smile on his face. At least he'd still gotten some enjoyment out of everything that had happened today.

Sighing, Luke turned from the window and crawled into bed. Hopefully he'd be able to get some rest tonight.

*****************************************************************************

The Hunter was stationed on a building not far from 500 Republica. He'd set up his choice sniper rifle already, poison darts loaded as he searched the building through his scope. He had the picture next to him so he could double check that he'd found his target, and he'd already found what floor the Senator was located. Now he just had to find this Jedi...

A smile flashed across The Hunter's face as he finally spotted the blonde man, standing alone at the window in one of the bedrooms. The smile vanished as he went back to taking note of where his target was, searching the other rooms he had a visual on for the other two that were supposed to be in the apartment.

He spotted the Senator and what he guessed was the Jedi his employer had demanded remain unharmed crossing the living room, slipping into another room on the opposite side of the apartment. The Hunter allowed himself another sinister smile; that would make this job so much easier.

Returning his aim to the lone figure lying in bed, The Hunter immediately settled into the technique he'd been informed of to shield his presence from the Force Sensitive Jedi. He focused on strong yet non-violent feelings, simply to decrease any suspicions, and began thinking of the new toys he would buy with the lovely pay he would get for this job. Anything but the mission he was currently executing had to be on his mind.

Now he just needed to wait patiently for the inhabitants to fall asleep. He felt slightly sorry for the Jedi on the receiving end of the poison darts he was using tonight.