21

"What's gotten into you today?" Remus whispered once Virgil had separated himself from Roman's side. Roman frowned giving his brother a confused look as Remus gestured back behind him. "The mask? Normally you would have growled and yelled before you ever said anything like that. Plus you gave Virgil advice on how to AVOID hunters. In fact, you recommended it. You never would have done that. AND don't think I didn't notice how you were looking at the bag Virgil had before."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Remus growled making Roman all the more tense over the look his twin was giving him. "Honestly, Remus. I haven't a clue what you are referring to." Remus's eyes narrowed slightly as he just watched his brother closely. "What do you want from me?"

"Honesty."

"And I gave it. I do not know what it is you are referring to." Remus went to yell only to stop short as Roman visibly seemed to freeze, eyes latched onto something... or someone. Remus frowned as he tried to follow Roman's gaze only to find Virgil at another market table smiling as he sifted through the shirts they had on display.

"You honestly don't see what you are doing? Are you even listening out for informa-..."

"Remus, you are aware of just how acute my hearing is. I can hear a pin drop 4 streets away even with all this noise." Roman growled lowly, his eyes flashing red, as he gave Remus a serious look. "Of course, I'm paying attention. I've been gathering information since we got up this morning You're the one distracting me with nonsense accusations. If you're going to 'enjoy' a day in the market? Then do so, but do leave me out of the conversation."

"You're the one ogling the ghoul." Roman faltered, heavily confused as Remus ran off to join Virgil. He genuinely had no idea what Remus was going on about. Roman stood there was a bit trying to focus his mind but to be honest, couldn't get his mind off the wooden mask Virgil had been holding. Roman growled as quickly turned around, grabbing his coin pouch before could think anything about it. It wouldn't really hurt to have a disposable mask, just in case. He knew deep down he was wasting money. He would never give the mask to anyone given the risk. But if he painted it nicely, maybe it could be there for emergencies?

"I see your back." The merchant spork coarsely, giving Roman an obvious look that clearly stated his presence was not appreciated. Makes sense since he cost them business. Of course, considering he came to buy it himself, Roman doubted it really mattered much. "Was there more you wanted to add or did you just come to belittle my work?"

"We both know you mark specific wooden mask is a special logo that allows hunters to identify cheap masks that Selen tend to go for. And we both know that mask was one of them." The merchant side with a dismissive nod letting their shoulders drop as they relented.

"What is it you want, Hunter?"

"A mask... disposable, I don't care. Something that isn't hunter marked." The merchant frowned in confusion as Roman started to pull out a few copper coins. "What?"

"I thought the Great Roman Alden rejected masks." Roman growled as his anger bubbled up.

"Make the purchase." Roman's voice rumbled making the table shake startling the merchant who just nodded and passed over a cheap wooden mask. "Thank you."

"You know, if you want the better quality masks that you were talking about earlier..." Roman paused clearly listening in as the merchant called after him. "The night markets have them. They don't sell the good stuff till then to weed out those who can't afford to go out at night."

"Thank you for the information." The merchant just shrugged as Roman started for the others only to stop and turn back to see the bag Virgil had been holding before. His mind flashed back to the way Virgil smiled, holding the bag as if it was something special, and Roman felt the buzz in his shin get stronger. Roman growled lowly as he pulled out a gold coin, tossing it on the table before grabbing the bag and walking off again.