24

Roman stood there staring at the bed with this odd look in his eyes, after having climbed in through the window. He should have expected it really, but... for some reason, seeing his brother all cuddled up with the ghoul-like the two of them do while they sleep was not what Roman was thinking he would find.

Roman sighed as he looked around, making sure there wasn't anything worrisome like tracker marks anywhere in the room. Given how oblivious Virgil was to how hunters and shit work it would not be too surprised if there was something. He managed to check the wardrobe, when a sound caught his attention. Sure if someone had woken up, Roman was still wearing the mask and disguise so at the least Virgil wouldn't know it was him who had just randomly broken into his room.

He held his hands up as he slowly turned around only to sigh to see Remus had moved. Where Remus had been cuddling up to Virgil, he has now sprawled out away from him, leaving Virgil there cuddled up to a pillow.

Roman blinked, taken by surprise, seeing the ghoul so curled up and peaceful in his sleep. His eyes zeroed in on the marks still on Virgil's neck from the night before and something Roman's chest tightened. He could not understand how something could look at someone who was supposed to be just like them and think of food. And yet a being looked at Virgil and thought that very thing. It wasn't just Roman who was attacked... it was Virgil too.

Stop. Roman growled at himself as he tried to shake himself from his thoughts. He's a ghoul. A monster... Stop thinking about-...

Light seeped in from the window, catching Roman's eyes, who instantly felt the warm and caring energy it brought with it. He sighed, slowly making his way back to the bed, seeing how the moonlight encased the ghoul entirely.

"I seriously do not understand your affections, Mother." Roman whispered out so quietly before pausing a bit at how soft Virgil looked in his sleep. You could not tell he was anything other than a man. Roman smiled softly, pulling up the blanket to rest it around Virgil's shoulder, before brushing his hair back a bit. His eyes lingered on the marks from where the draugr had held him, before looking back out at the moon with this nod. "My promise to Remus still stands. Anything more is asking too much. I will not ignore what he is." Roman pulled away, slowly moving back to the window, fists clenched at his side. "What I've done is already too much."

"Ro-..." Roman frowned as he opened the window more, seeing how Virgil fussed in bed. The ghoul slowly sat up, clearly confused before freezing up in a panic seeing him at the window. "What? Hey-..."

"Sh..." Roman held a finger up, before quickly jumping out of the window before anything more can be said, and slowly trudging back up to his room. He was defiantly going to have an earful tomorrow that was for sure.

Roman finally made it back to his room and slowly closed the door behind him, before hearing a cough that made him jump. He growled as he looked back to see Artem sitting there on the bed with a knowing smile.

"So-..." Artem started with a smirk as Roman growled again this time just annoyed over everything. "Are you done being an overbearing protector?"

"I am not overbearing." Roman hissed back as Artem just smile unchangingly. "Overprotective yes, but not overbearing."

"We shall see... regardless, are you satisfied?" Roman rolled his eyes before just collapsing at the table with an exhausted groan.

"Virgil woke up." Roman mumbled as he pulled the mask off and let it slip to the floor. "Not sure if he realized it was me or not."

"Well, that sounds fun." Artem chuckled before grabbing the things they had bought and placing them in front of the hunter. Roman's eyes narrowed as he stared the masks down in thought. "But now is the interesting part... what do you plan on doing now that we're here?"

"You said you could charm them right?" Artem just nodded, his smile getting just the smallest bit bigger.

"Whatever you shall need of my, My Lord." Roman frowned, looking the fae over suspiciously before just groaning and grabbing the paint and a brush. Artem's eyes widened a bit watching as Roman painted COH's protection symbol of the triple moon on the inside of the mask. Roman's eyes turned red as the energy seemed to build up in the room, causing patches of black and stars to appear on Artem's skin. "A protection charm?"

"I was going to just put it on the daggers,..." Roman started as he added some small swirls and designs to the mask till he got to the chin, there he started painting a sun ward charm. If this mask and dagger were to be his LAST gift to the ghoul then so be it. He would go all out. "but then I figured it would be best to put it on both just encase." Roman sighed as he set the mask down to let it dry, only for Artem to grab it and smile. "What?"

"You work on your mask, while I add a suppressor to this." Roman faltered, this obvious look of confusion, only making Artem laugh even more. "I'm here already aren't I? Why not do this now with something that will be permanent instead of making disposable charms all the time."

"He will not be traveling with us for long-..."

"And yet you yourself are giving such charms away for free." Roman's growled but didn't bother to say anything more. He just grabbed his own mask and started to repeat the designs, letting Artem do what he wanted. The two worked throughout the night adding charms and wards to everything Roman felt needed it. Artem even spelled several things himself despite Roman telling him no. Artem simply said the Moon felt it important for them to have them and he was going to ensure they always do. It wasn't until the sun started to rise did Artem finish his last spell, looking up to notice how Roman was watching him carefully with glowing eyes.

"Is all well, My lord?"

"I do not understand her affections. I do not understand your loyalty. I do not understand his kindness. I'm a hunter. I've killed so many and yet Mother still shines just as bright on me." Artem frowned, hesitating slightly as he was putting everything but Roman's mask into the bag Roman had bought. "She still asks me of things. She still cares for me, even knowing what I will continue to do." Roman blinked before meeting with Artem's eyes, and the poor fae had to look away over the immense pressure they held. "Why does your Lady still insist on helping me? If things were different I would have gladly turned you all in. Yet you provide us with charms and watch them for me without even the slightest fear in what I would do."

"My Lord, I've already told you. You are tied to the moon just as we are. We follow her light and support her children." Roman's eyes darkened as Artem smiled softly at him. "So long as you are alive, we will help you. Now..." Artem grinned as he held the bag of gifts tight in his hands. "I will endeavor to give these to your ghoul as I must return home soon. I will ensure he does not see me. As for you... you mentioned you had something the young lord?"

"Oh, yes..." Roman snapped out of his thought instantly, running over to his bags before pulling out a letter and a pouch. "I had gotten a little extra money while in town. I thought they would appreciate it." Arte gave a soft chuckle as he took it, before pulling out a letter of his own and handing it over. He pulled out a sheet, letting Roman sign for it just as they always do, before putting it all away with a sad look.

"You know, My Lord... while they do appreciate any gift you give... a visit would be almost guaranteed to make them happy." Roman's face seemed to fall as he looked away, cluing the fae into how that conversation was not going to continue. "They understand, I assure you. You needn't change in your pattern. All is well as of yet."

"Goodbye, Artem." Artem sighed, giving a bow, before teleporting out, letting Roman crash into his chair again. Roman groaned as he pulled at his hair, his frustration hitting its mark. "What am I doing?"