Unbending

Centuries Old and Unbending

▶︎ •၊၊||၊|။||||။‌‌‌‌‌၊|• 1:16

Speechless • Naomi Scott

Evangeline Emrys

We were heading to a wand shop called "Ollivander's." As we walked in we saw an old man, probably the shop keeper. And in my theory, it was correct. 

"That's Ollivander, he owns the shop. He's been making wands for years. He made mine too, see." said Astoria excitedly. The shop owner who apparently goes by "Ollivander" went to the front desk to approach my aunt. 

"I will be purchasing the first wand of my niece, Evangeline Emrys." and by my name the mans eyes widened.

"My, my, Miss Emrys, we have heard tales of your family far and wide. Without a doubt, you are sure to continue the great bloodline. Shall we get you a Silver Lime one as your father to try first?" At the mention of my father, I nodded. 

I was occupied with thoughts, thinking of what it may mean if I didn't get the same wand as father.

"Eva, I trust that you will be safe with your cousins. I will be shopping for clothes myself, please find me at Madam Malkin's if you need any assistance. And you two, take care of your cousin." and with her words, Aunt Bella whisked herself away just as Ollivander had climbed down from the upper floor and brought me a long box.

Inside was a wand, it looked like my fathers. "Silver Lime with a Unicorn Hair core, 13 inches and quite bendy. Give it a little wave." I did as he told and a few drawers came crashing. I gave him an apologetic look as I carefully placed the wand back in the box he was holding.

"No need to worry dear, it usually happens with everyone. After all, it's the wand that chooses the witch, not us who picks the wand." He said as he climbed the stairs and brought out another box.

"Ah here it is. 12 and a half inches, Spruce wood with a dragon heartstring core." I tried it once more but, to my disdain the ladder fell down. As if signaling that the wand I'm mean for isn't up there. 

"Hazelwood and aDragon Heartstring Core"

"Elm wood and a Dragon Heartstring Core"

"Cherry with a Phonix Feather Core"

"Cypress and Unicorn Hair"

"Laurel with Phoenix Feather?"

He came back with 3 boxes in hand. By this time I was afraid to do further damage to the shop. But nonetheless, I still tried.

First was a wand of Elder wood and Dragon Heartstring Core, to my surprise, the light bulbs were smashed.

Ollivander smiled and opened the other two boxes he brought out while keeping the one I just tried under the front desk.

I took a look at the one on my left. English Oak and Phoenix Feather Core, 13 and a third inches long.

"Many years ago, Merlin, or as the druids call him, Emrys had a wand of the same material which he crafted himself. Give it a whisk" As I did, a whoosh in the air came. Just as that happened, the other seemed to glow.

By instinct, I took it out of the box and placed the English Oak one down, a light emerged and the air whispered tiny lullabies. Willow Wood and a Phoenix Feather Core as well that stands as 14 and quarter inches.

"Peculiar. How very peculiar indeed Miss Emrys."

"Pardon?"

"You've matched with two wands. Two different wants suggesting two different things. Whereas one speaks that you are like your ancestor, the other says you are a different person that is yet to be found. But one thing is clear, no matter which you choose, these wands are both unbending. Whatever your decision may be, only the greatest witches can truly hold two wands at once. Would you like to give it a try?"

I took both wands in hand, or hands rather. Following the same movement for both wands and a soft glow appeared on them both as I was whisked in the air. I looked down to see Astoria with a mouth hung open and Daphne with a proud smile. 

As I was placed gently down, the man had used his tongue again to utter a question that I could have never predicted. "By any chance miss Emrys, have you ever tried wandless magic?"

"Oh she does! She's quite good at it too." a giddy Astoria replied which earned a smile from the shopkeeper. "Your talent proves to be quite excellent. I have no doubt you will be able to cast unspoken magic. But the decision of your wands remain solely up to you."

And I thought about it for some time. I gravitated towards the wand of willow, however I feel closer to my family ancestry with the English oak wand. For a moment I heard someone say "sickles" and I remembered vaguely the memory of my entering the Emrys vault. That was the moment I decided to get both wands. And if my parents think this preposterous, then they might as well gather my trust fund. 

I payed for the wands and just as I was about to exit he spoke once more. "Remember Miss Emrys, with a wand that is unbending must also come a holder who demonstrates her power. Unbending Wand, Unbending Wielder."

We headed over to buy our books in a store labelled "Flourish and Blotts."

As we gathered all the books that were on the list, Daphne and Astoria were not bacj yet. So, I decided to roam around more and found myself curious on a leathered book. As I flipped the page open, it was empty. The book was adorned by a black leather cover that had a gold intricate design. I brought it out to the counter and as I payed, the shopkeeper had said I had the option of personalizing my notebook. 

A few seconds passed and the leather cover was now holding my name "Evangeline Wysteria Emrys."

"What else is on your list, Eva?" asked Daphne.
"Mmm... a broom." I answered.
"Then we shall head to buy you one." said Astoria as she dragged us off to a red colored shop with a signage that reads "Quality Quidditch Supplies."

"Quidditch?"
"Yup! Quidditch." answered Astoria and I was confused now more than ever.
"Oh right! You've never been to a quidditch game! Well it's simple really, it's a game that involves flying on brooms. We'll take you to watch the Quidditch Match at Hogwarts as soon as you arrive!" said Daphne.

Goodness. I had almost forgotten that I was a few years late already in entering the school. But what could they do? I was an Emrys, and that meant I had a lot of privilege. I just hope that entering in the middle won't be too hard.