Catch Me

No, you can't catch me now

▶︎ •၊၊||၊|။||||။‌‌‌‌‌၊|• 1:05

Can't Catch Me Now • Olivia Rodrigo

Lorenzo Berkshire

We were spending lots of time training the girls for quidditch, and of course Cristella didn't join.

Helene was trying though, and Pansy? Well she gave up half an hour ago. So really, It was only Neandra and Evangeline playing with us.

Tomorrow was the Slytherin tryouts, that being said, it was these kinds of times that I felt grrateful to come from a feared house. No one bothered us.

Combine Malfoy, Black, Riddle and Emrys, of course no one would bother. Though Mattheo didn't play, his presence was enough.

Tomorrow, we play with other people competing for a spot on the team. We weren't able to convince Emrys to join us.

I'm pretty sure she would've made it in anyway. If not for skill then for her name. Flint would be mental to reject a direct descendant of Merlin. Especially since we often boasted about the long line of Slytherins from the House of Emrys. The Averys, the Yaxleys, the Blacks, the Malfoys and most importantly the Emryses— we were "legacies" children of the most famed and successful Slytherins.

It was quite sad of us to be spending Saturday in Hogwarts, but if it's for quidditch then why not. It was always satisfying to see Wood's comical expression whenever I caught the snitch before Potter.

We all retired to our rooms as rain started pouring. The humid air made it impossible to see through the field.

It wasn't long until tryouts. Weirdly enough, we needed rest for it but also the right training. We didn't know if we were well-prepared, but of course we would never let it show.

That's the thing about us, we look confident but inside you'll never really know. I guess it was just another thing inherited along with the generational trauma. Hiding was a trauma response, and we all knew it.

Lorenzo Berkshire

It was finally tryouts and thank Salazar for the good weather today, otherwise I may just storm off as well.

Flint came with a clipboard, behind him was his right hand man, he had a sure spot on the team of course. Adrian Pucey had it easy, befriending Flint since the start of his first year at Hogwarts.

"I want all beaters to the far left, chasers to the far right. Keepers and Seekers in the middle left and middle right respectively."

I was surprised there were even first years trying out but then again, why not? If they had the face to make up for the fact that they weren't allowed to bring brooms, then go ahead.

Flint blew the whistle and the games started. Zabini was having it rough, 3 of all 5 contesting beaters were throwing bludgers at his direction as he zoomed past me. Crylle over there was having the time of her life, feeling like she'd beat Blaise.

Malfoy was over there, beaming proudly after he prevented a quaffle through our goal. 

I had yet to catch sight of the golden ball that I have to catch. Another 4th year trying out for seeker right at the other side of the pitch. And a second-year, however, trying his best to look like he wasn't just following my movements. Although it couldn't be more obvious. He was literally beside me, turning left when I did and to the other side when I looked at him. 

"The snitch has been released for minutes, bloody find it already!" yelled Flint from the ground making me make laps around the field, eyes peeled for any sign of the golden ball. 

Just then I saw the silhouette of a green Slytherin quidditch uniform going hard to the ground. That was when I saw a speck of gold, zooming upwards, the same person following closely behind. 

I knew the twelvie saw it too. But really, with a broom provided by the school he expects to catch the snitch?

I followed the snitch closely from behind, the guy a few feet closer to it than I was when a bludger hit him. At that moment, I knew I didn't hate Cassius Warrington as much. He probably wouldn't get on the team after hitting a seeker, but one person's loss can be my gain.

The snitch zoomed throughout the playing area, almost knocking over the twelvie and I was nearing it, closer and closer. I angled my body near the broom as it sped up faster and finally caught up with the bloody object.

The whistle resonated all around the field, I had spaced out during most of what he said. But I could make out one phrase "Berkshire is our seeker." The official results will be posted tonight for the whole house to learn.

The girls hurriedly congratulated us, Crylle almost tearing up after the announcement. 

"I can't believe I did it! Oh my gosh, I did it" the girl said in disbelief as her fellow female friends went up and hugged her.

A few notes of congratulatory to Zabini, Malfoy and I. Nott greeted us, hands filled with all sorts of brooms before smiling wickedly. "Traditional celebratory flight?"

It had been a non-spoken agreement between us that every after each tryouts, we would fly around as a celebration, to take in the smell of the quidditch air knowing that we, the players were to focused to savor it; and them, the audience were not in the air to know it either.

Everybody grabbed their brooms, Parkinson explaining to Emrys what was about to happen giving us a view of her smile. 

We were flying around, laughs echoing around us. We didn't care that a few students had entered the field of that some mounted their brooms as well or that there were other students flying alongside us. We were enjoying our 4/4 victory. Out of 7 spots, our group had taken 4.

The girls were in their own world, soaring in the air. Up and down and up and down again. Spinning around Neandra. Going around in circles and chasing each other around.

The joy was cut short when a scream resonated from behind me, I looked back to see a gryffindor, Sophie Roper zooming past Evangeline who fell from her broom before laughing and making a quick escape from the pitch.

Curses were heard from Neandra who only managed to catch Evangeline's broom. All 9 of us zooming down in attempts to save the girl.

"Someone cast a spell or something!" screamed a terrified Cristella.

"We don't have our wands, we left it in your bag to make sure it doesn't fall remember?" a reply quickly came from Helene.

fuck. fuck. fuck.

I saw her falling, mouthing "catch me" fear ever present in her eyes. And I swore I never saw her this way before. Actual confidence slipping off, only vulnerability.

I won't let her fall, I won't. She was there in my vulnerable moment, I should at least return the favor.