Emrys...

Only thing we share is one last name

▶︎ •၊၊||၊|။||||။‌‌‌‌‌၊|• 0:43

The Family Jewels • MARINA

Evangeline Emrys

I looked at the schedule it my hand. Potions. 

I scooted over to Nea, asking her for her next period. But I soon learned that she was in Muggle Studies along with Draco. 

Well good luck to her. I mean, having muggle studies with Malfoy is not something you'd ever want.

I headed towards the Potions classroom. No sign of the teacher, Professor Snape. You could almost never miss his dramatic ass flying cape.

I found myself an empty desk as I brought out two books, the novel and the book required for this class. I was reading in peace. I heard the classroom began filling with students, the chatter getting louder and louder with each passing minute.

Just as a finished a chapter, the chair beside mine screeched. I payed no mind to it. I didn't care who the hell sat beside me. Unless of course my friends chose to sit elsewhere, then I'd care. It doesn't really bother me much.

I've been reading for quite some time now. there was a break in between the two periods in the morning. I skipped it to read of course. According to the rumors, nobody liked Snape, so I assumed it would be a safe bet that his classroom would be empty. I saw my thoughts betray me as students kept entering.

It must be because they were afraid of being tardy in his class.

The bell rang, signaling it was time for second period. I shut my book and placed it on the side, bringing to my grasp the book we need for potions, opening it trying to skim the pages before Snape enters. But unfortunately, my book was closed shut by my seatmate.

I looked to my left and saw him. Lorenzo Berkshire. He smirked at me, inching his chair closer.

WHAT THE HELL WAS UP WITH HIM?

"You don't need that, trust me. Snape makes us do his version of the potions. Most shit from that book doesn't even work. Just take note of whatever he says." Weird, that was actually helpful.

In anyway, I slid the book to my right, covering it up with the novel just in time before Snape's cape (wait, hey that rhymes!) came into view.

His monotonous voice being the last I heard before the bell.

It was lunch time, I've had two classes already and as of now, I haven't been learning anything I don't already know.

The student body's eyes were divided in half. Half trained on me and half trained on Harry. I didn't think much of it, after all, he was the boy who lived.

And I was just, a descendant of some great wizard.

Not that it helped either. Within just a few days, a lot of people distanced themselves from me. When I'd come near them, they'd instinctively back away. And when I joined in on conversation, the atmosphere went awkward. All of them, trying their best not to cuss out "Merlin" in front of me, his youngest living descendant.

I was happy, happy that I finally got to live a normal life. 

Except, your life can never be normal as an Emrys. Can it?

Always the family name to live up to, the pressure putting you down, witches and wizards your age intimidated by you. 

Truth is, you don't know who to trust. When you're an Emrys, people may only want you for your power, money or fame. You wouldn't be able to tell who was being sincere. And I loathed that. 

Maybe that's also why I like that Draco, Mattheo and Lorenzo are being huge dicks.

I knew they were real. They didn't just be all friendly with me because they want something. How could they, a son of Lord Voldemort, the sole heir of the House Malfoy and the Berkshire's only living son. They were bound to have it all.

They may have been raised to be believers in blood supremacy, or wizards who looked down on those below, but one thing was for sure. They were real. The reality is cruel, the truth is harsh. Malfoy may call people 'mudbloods' but they were, it wasn't exactly a kind term, but wasn't it true at some point?

I thought, I would leave behind the life where I talked to no one. But it followed me all the way here. I talked only to my cousins, the 'Golden Trio' as they call it, the girls and Malfoy's gang.

"Miss Emrys" this, "Miss Emrys" that. Bloody hell, I'm not merely an Emrys. I'm Evangeline too. I'm Evangeline Wysteria Emrys. Not "Merlin's great great great something granddaughter."

I wasn't like him at all. Merlin Emrys? He was a visionary, a brave wizard, he fought countless battles both alongside King Arthur and by himself. He raised a Dragon, Merlin, even I would be intimidated by me. 

I didn't like plants like most my family did. Although, I appreciated them, I wasn't as connected to them as my family. Where most my family liked to stay static, find a single place to ground themselves in, I had loved adventure. 

It felt as if we were always divided into two halves- but I wasn't in either of those. I wasn't black. Neither was I white. I was gray. Dull and cold gray.

I sighed. Thinking of this won't help me.

I continued to the Great Hall. And maybe it was because I was spacing out while walking. But the flight of stairs I was on shifted.

I immediately grabbed the railings, trying to steady myself while it moved. I looked around and didn't know where to go. I blame me being quarantined in the manor for my shitty navigation.

The ground I was on, shifted again, this time to the direction I was headed and thank goodness for that.  I headed to the great hall. Spotting none of my friends there yet. Then again, I was daft.

A hand sneaked up around my neck, the familiar tall brunette was here.

"Hey, Emrys." 

Sigh. Not this shit again.

"Hi, Theo." he grinned in reply.