A Figure in the Books

'Cause she's the kind of book you can't put down

▶︎ •၊၊||၊|။||||။‌‌‌‌‌၊|• 0:10

When Emma Falls in Love • Taylor Swift

Evangeline Emrys

Over the next few days, I had been teaching myself how to ride a broom and use a wand. I wasn't worried about spells or charms since I'm good enough at those. Or, at least I'm confident enough that I am.

Getting help from Daphne and Astoria helped as well. We covered all the past lessons that I have yet to teach myself. And throughout the days before finally attending class, I was proficient enough to make sure I could handle the classes at Hogwarts.

I was given two weeks before I had to go to attend school. It was a Sunday night. Tomorrow morning, I'd be travelling to Hogwarts and I'd be sorted into one of the houses.

I didn't know if I had hoped to be in Slytherin just like the rest of my family or if I wanted to be in Ravenclaw or Gryffindor.

I had tried getting as much background information on the wizarding world as possible, and with the many many figures, it was a slight challenge to keep up. I read the book of Bagshot entitled "Hogwarts: A History" and on top of that, Astoria and Daphne gave me all the juice on everyone who's anyone in Hogwarts.

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

Evangeline Emrys

Monday came and I had packed myself a whole trunk. I knew I was terribly overpacked after I casted reducio on everything just to fit. "Eva! Let's go!" said my mother from below. Minutes later, we arrived at the King's Cross Train Station. My parents then pointed to a wall between platform 9 and 10 saying we have to run through it. What the fuck? Are they going crazy? But my thoughts were proved be insolent as I saw my father run through the bricks.

Eyes wide open, my mother must have noticed which was why she informed me that it was called "Platform 9 3/4" explaining that muggles had no knowledge of this.

"Ready Eva?" mom dragged me across the brick wall where we saw dad standing in front of us with a smile on his face. They walked me all the way to the train entrance of Hogwarts Express where dad held my cheek. "My baby's gonna go to school."

"Aw dad, don't go all soft on me now, you literally were just serious a few minutes ago." The train bells chimed and my mother pulled me into a hug.

"Do well, sweetheart. And just between you and me, be unapologetically yourself. No matter the stares, the whispers or the looks. Come back and make us proud."

All the students quickly hopped on the train as I did too. The last thing I head was my parents calling out to me "We love you Eva!" and on the train, I whispered "I love you too" but I need to figure things out for myself.

Walking around the train until I saw Astoria climbing into a compartment where she slid the door open and gestured for us to come in.

We three did our very best to push my trunk on the over-head compartment and with a sigh we slumped down on our seats victoriously. "Shit." Everyone looked at me. "I forgot my book in the trunk." I said which got me a duo of negation from them both.

I looked at them and they were already sleeping against each other and just gave up on the book. I decided that I couldn't just sit in the train with nothing.

I quietly slid down the compartment and went out where I bumped into a girl with seemingly brown freckles and curly unkept hair. She was holding a scarf with the color red and yellow. She must be a Gryffindor.

"I'm sorry, I was in hurry. I was about to be late and I couldn't find Ron or Harry anywhere" she said all in one breath before taking a good look at me.

"Have we met before? I don't think I've seen you yet." She stated taking a good look at my face. I was wearing a white knitwear shirt and black skirt.

"No, I'm new to Hogwarts." I said and extended a hand out, which she smiled at but shook anyway.

"Are you a first year? You look awfully tall to be one."

"No, actually. I was homeschooled for two years before my parents decided to let me enter Hogwarts."

"Hermione Granger." She smiled.

"Evangeline Emrys." and to my name shock was written all over her face.

"Oh my goodness, your great-great-great-great or however great grandfather was mentioned in a book called "A History of Magic" and I absolutely love your family's dedication for the Order of Merlin! I also read about you on Modern Magical History!" she rambled and looked at me as if she got a brilliant idea and pulled me along the train walk-way.

"You've gotta help me find Harry and Ron."

"Um, I don't know how they look like or who they are."

"Oh well they're impossible to miss. Harry has glasses and a lightning scar and Ron looks like a timid red-headed boy." and it hit me. She's taking me to meet Harry Potter. Another figure mentioned in Modern Magical History.

we opened compartment after compartment. Hermione not at all fazed that she was opening doors to people she didn't know or didn't talk to.

We opened another compartment and in was red hair peaking right behind Hermione's peeking head until she opened the sliding door fully, letting herself in and beckoning me to come along with her. She had sat next to the red-head which I presume is Ron. I closed the door behind me and awkwardly looked at the group of three. 

"Evangeline, you can sit over there" she said pointing to a seat across her, beside Harry James Potter. I remember Astoria and Daphne talking about them three, they're popular around Hogwarts, they were called the Golden Trio. The boys looked at each other as I sat down.

"Well? Aren't you at least going to introduce yourselves?" Hermione deadpanned. A couple of seconds in silence was spared before I decided to speak up.

"Hi, Evangeline Emrys. Nice to meet you." Ron looked like he had just seen a ghost as the boy next to me and turned, "Harry Potter." he smiled at me before continuing. "That's Ron. Ronald Weasley." A silence seemed to engulf us as Ron sat there, mouths parted a bit. Staring at Harry before drifting his attention to me.

"Blimey, you're an Emrys." he stated absolutely still shocked which earned a giggle from me. 

"She's new but she's starting off as a fourth year. She's our age" Mione announced in the compartment. Ron handed me a chocolate frog and mouthed "first-meeting gift."

Hermione's brows furrowed. "What? How come I didn't receive a first-meeting gift?" asked Hermione to her seatmate which he gave out another chocolate frog in return. "This late? Really?" said Mione. All hell was raised as a banter came out between them.

All tension seemed to break as Harry whispered in my ear, "They look good together, don't they?" and I nodded "Indeed."

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

hey readers, just wanna let yk that more characters will be introduced soon.