Stolen Secrets

Do I Wanna Know?

▶︎ •၊၊||၊|။||||။‌‌‌‌‌၊|• 1:12

Do I Wanna Know? • Artic Monkeys

Evangeline Emrys

I stood there rooted in my place.

Where everyone chose to shut up about it, he came.

And I would think about it, maybe later. But right now, I needed a good cry.

I found myself running. And God, I never hated myself much more than at that moment. Because no matter how much he hurt me, I was still running to my brother.

"Why?" I cried. "Why do you fucking do this to me?"
"Eva?"

I barged into his room, the one given by Hogwarts to house its visitors.

"You're all I have left."
"It used to only be me," he smiled softly, "but now you've got all your friends."
I scoffed, "And that makes it all okay?!"
"'Least you won't be alone."

I snapped. What the fuck was with this family doing things for their self-pleasure? My mother marrying into the family for the esteemed name. My father chaining his family into silly little cages of how we should appear to the public.

"You know what? Fine! You were never fucking there anyway! You left me to rot in a godforsaken house and took it as your liberty to just fly around the fucking world!"

I left. The same way he left me all those years ago when he flee away from London. The same way he left me to rot in that hell hole we call a 'home.'

My footsteps echoed along the corridors. 

I needed privacy. I needed alone.
It wasn't healthy, I know.
But loneliness was all I knew. It was all I had growing up in that house. Growing up only knowing my room with myself as my only escape from the screams in that place.

I was alone.
I am alone.
I will always be alone.

I'm starting to think the only good thing about this family is the name, the privilege and the status. But not the actual family. Never them. They never were family anyway, were they?

Without knowing it, I ended up in a shore. In front of a body of water. Too small to be an ocean, too big to be a pond. So, I'd say a lake, presumably.

Splash.

A tail?

I knew I shouldn't have gone nearer the water. That it wasn't safe. But I was desperate, to feel something other than sad melancholy.

Green hair. Yellow eyes. Gray skin. Silver tail.

It was staring right at me.

A Selkie. The merfolk colony of the Black Lake, or so I read in a book.

So, this is the famed black lake, huh?

It stared right at me, it's tail splashing. It opened it's mouth, a bubble of syllables coming out, audible but not understandable. Another language, probably.

I furrowed my brows at it then it began dragging it's nails on the sand engraving something. 

Runic Alphabet.