4

sabrina's pov
he pulls into the morgue. he asks "what are we doing here?" i sigh "i have to identify a body" "what? who's?" he asks worried. i reply "someone who's been dead to me for years now" getting out the car. he follows and i walk inside and tell the person what im here for. his hand slides into mine. we get to a room and the slab with the body is pulled from the wall. the cop asks "ready?" i nod and they unzip it. it's her. i say "it's her...that's my mother" felix looks at me with hurt eyes. he's hurting for me. they nod "want some time alone? got any way to plan the funeral?" "just get rid of her. i don't care how. yeah i can use a minute" i say.

i'm left alone with the body and Felix. felix says "darlin...i am...so sorry. losing your mother...it's gotta be hard. we can pay for her funeral so you don't have to worry about that" i tell him "no need." i speak "hey elizabeth your calls finally brought me here. but you're dead so you can't see it. guess you thought the drugs were more important. all you had to do is say no...my father loved you. but you're who destroyed us...our family. your drugs, the cheating, the abuse. and when he tried to be a good father and take me and him out the situation...you killed him. you took away the only parent i really ever had. and you didn't even serve your full sentence because money gets you out of everywhere huh? it did...it got me away from you. it got me to not be linked to you but you still found me anyways. i'll never forgive you" and felix hugs me "im sorry you went through that. why did you tell me?"

i walk out and to the car and smoke. he says "Sab..." "i didn't tell you because i didn't want the pity. i didn't want her to be linked to me. none of it" i say. he says "i think you're the strongest person ever. i don't pity you. i feel bad that you had to go through that. but that's because you never deserved it" i tell him "i watched her do it yknow? i was supposed to be asleep but they were arguing worse than ever. the abuse had been going on for weeks at this point. i crept to them and they were yelling about his plans to divorce and take me away. and she just...shot him. he saw me. he told me to run. and she killed him. i ran and told and she got arrested and sent away. i got sent to my grandparents. they weren't much better."

he hugs me and i say "now that she's dead im rich" he pulls away "what?" "im not poor. or anything Fee. when i ran when i turned 18, i stripped myself of everything. i wanted nothing to do with her or the money and status. so i got a job and a scholarship" i tell him. he nods "we're best friends...you know everything about me...why didn't you tell me" "i wanted nothing to do with it. just wanted to live my life and forget her, forget my childhood" i say getting in the car. he nods "i get that...i just wish you'd have told me" i drive and stop at the graveyard. i get out and sit at my dads plot. "hey dad it's been...a while" i sigh. i try to find words to say but i just can't. felix sits with me and i stand after a while and felix says "ill take good care of her"