2

Jason rushes up to King, "Sir, I am so sorry, Rachel never said she was married"

Eric turns to him, "we've been working apart this last year" he's surprisingly calm. They both exchange a nod, "so she's the Queen Bitch now?" You can't tell whether he's having a joke or not. "Shes gone up in the world".

"If it helps, we like to think of it as a term of endearment" Jason resolves.

Eric quickly smiles and walks into the middle of the room, placing his briefcase down and opening it up. You place Clarice's down opposite."Thanks, y/n" she pats your shoulder.

"No problem Clarice" She opens the case and pulls out her laptop.

"Right, let's get you set up" Jason walks over, he stands next to you.

"Hope your bandwidth can handle all the data" Clarice comments.

"I'll leave the techy stuff to you" he jokes. You're yet to see him serious. You wonder if he even has a serious side.

"And I'll leave the heavy lifting to you" she has a kinda... flirty tone to her voice. Like when someone speaks 'lowly'. You can't help but feel a tiny bit jealous. Maybe more than 'a tiny bit'.

"We got a deal, lady" he responds. You decide to get up from leaning on the table and walk over to Eric.

"Watchu' looking at?" You ask him, intrigued by the coloured maps on the screen.

"Oh, hey, why aren't you with Clarice?"

"She's busy flirting" his eyes widen.

"Thought you two had a girl code or something, like 'don't talk to the person I'm crushin' on' " he jokes, smiling at you.

"Oh my god," you place your hand onto your forehead, "how did you even make it this far in the air force?" You giggle quietly.

He fakes shock, and holds his heart, "can't believe you said that to me"

You shake your head. Your eyes catch a woman walking in, must be Rachel.

"Colonel King" she starts.

"Mrs King" he responds back, walking in front of her.

"Im gonna leave you two to it" you smile politely at them both as you walk over to Merwin.

"Merwin, right?" You stand next to him.

"Yes... and I never caught your name?"

"Second Lieutenant Y/n L/n" you watch him as his back straightens up.

"Didn't expect you to be a higher rank, wouldn't of made those jokes earlier"

"It's okay." You reassure, "but those were meant to be jokes? Felt more like harassment" you laugh slightly

He chuckles too, "you wait till you hear my actual stuff, that'll get ya" he points his finger at you. You notice a ring.

"You married?"

"Yes Ma'am. Well I was... I'm recently divorced" he doesn't seem entirely dejected by saying that.

"Awh, I'm sorry" you attempt to sympathise.

"Nah, don't be. She held me back from committing to this job fully, always nagging me to be safe, you know"

"She was probably worried about you, if I had a partner and they were off in the war I'd be like that too" he nods, listening as you speak.

"Yeah, maybe. But she never really liked me, wanted me for money"

"Oh, well then, good riddance" you joke, he laughs. You look down at the table, it's a bunch of rope and others of the sorts, "So we're bringing gear?"