19

Jason's oddly quiet as he looks around the new room you're in, a glum expression sat on his face.

You move to Salim, he welcomes you with a quick side hug, probably happy that he didn't just get shot down.

Everyone's head snaps to the small cubby holes in the walls, an ominous sound emanating from it.

To no one's surprise, it's the vampires. Another one jumps down and lands on top of a statue. Jason begins the chain of shooting, aiming at the larger of the many surrounding you.

You're too focused on protecting yourself to not notice Jason being dragged away. A shout from Nick draws your attention to him.

You run after him, being stopped short by a skinny figure emerging from the corner that Jason was previously dragged around.

"What the fuck is that..." you mutter, Nick staying close behind you.

It slowly walks towards you, the light from behind you illuminating it's features. It's got amber eyes, a face speckled with blood and something white, like a paste. He has two long fangs hanging from his mouth, causing quite an overbite.

As soon as it gets in arms-reach of you, you raise your pistol and begin shooting at it. Only one bullet leaves the chamber. No ammo left. You quickly reach into your pocket and pull out Joeys crucifix, holding it up to the ancient, human-like vampire. It tilts its head.

Nick must still be behind you as it's eyes lock onto him, pushing you out of the way, it knocks his rifle out of his grasp and smashes his head into the wall.

It wraps its long nails around Nicks neck. You remember the stake that Jason gave you. Frantically, you search yourself, gripping onto the metal in your hand and aiming for its chest.

Right before it makes contact, the ancient one moves out of the way. It pushes your back, sending you forwards onto the floor, landing in front of Eric.

He raises his arm and turns the UV light on, the vampire covers it's eyes, launching Nick into Eric and stumbling backwards.

Nick returns to Salim, leaving Eric to be in the hands of the enemy.

It's crushing his head between its large hands. Your eyes quickly scan the floor, spotting the UV light. You flick it on again and wave it at the monster. It lets go of Eric, you pass him the light as he shuffles away.

You take the vampires moment of confusion to run past it, needing to reach Jason.

The fear of that thing being behind you pushes you to move quicker. Too quick. You end up falling down a hole. Again.

Your land is cushioned by something.

Something sticky and wet.

Your eyes open and you get up with a grunt. Turns out you were lying on a vampire. "Jason?" You mutter, seeing his cap lying on the floor.

You restrain yourself from heaving when you pick up the vampire, pulling it off the man below it.

"Thanks" he comments quietly. You reach your hands out, offering to help him up. He takes them, you forgot how warm his hands are. "Did you come after me or did you just stumble down here somehow?" You can't help but notice the slight aggression in his voice, it stings.

"I said I got your back, didn't i?" You reply, looking at him in time to catch his eye roll, "What was that about?" You ask, referring to his newfound attitude.

"It didn't look like you had my back earlier"

"C'mon!" You sigh, "I wasn't gonna shoot you, you know that Jason, I literally whispered it to you!"

"You shot Clarice" his shoulders drop. Is he actually sad about that?

"She was turning into one of those vampires!" You wave your hand in the air in frustration, "I had to do it"

Jason shakes his head and steps closer to you, "Nah, you did it 'cause that fuckin' Iraqi told you to"

"Why are you mad at her?" Salim appears from a corner, standing next to you.

"Fuck you mean" Jason steps back and points his rifle to him.

Salim raises his arms in surrender, "She didn't shoot you earlier, removed the threat of another vampire attacking us, and ran after you when you got dragged away" he slowly explains, "And you're agitated? Why?"

"That's all bullshit." he shakes his head, his tone growing calmer, "You still aimed a gun at my head and shot Clarice"

"You know what, it doesn't matter." You begin, "let's just forget about it, now's not the time to be fussing over this"

"You wanna forget how he ambushed us?" Kolchek points to Salim.

"I don't mean you any harm" his arms raise up again.

"No shit, I'm the one holding the gun"

"Your friend said 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' " he quotes Nick, "that is not always true, but if we all want to live, we must fight as one"

He thinks for a long second, "Bit too wordy for my liking... but I'm in" Jason agrees, surprisingly. He finally lowers his weapon.

You turn to Salim, "Could you give us a minute, please?"

He nods understandingly, "I'll be waiting". He walks further away from you two and into the next cave.

"Jase..." you trail off, he finally looks into your glossed-over eyes, "im sorry. I promise you, I was never gonna hurt you. I only did what I did because I didn't know who to trust"

"Y/n, you can trust me," he moves a stray hair from your face and tucks it behind your ear, "I was too focused on keeping everyone safe, I didn't realise the situation you were in, I'd assumed you were with Eric the whole time, y'know, 'cause you're his voice of reason" his hand rests on your cheek.

"So, are we okay?" You ask, your heart pounding, waiting for him to say no.

However, he doesn't, "Yeah, we're okay" he smiles lightly and pulls you into a hug. Your arms wrap around his torso. His left arm goes around your shoulder, whilst his right cradles the back of your head, holding you into his body.

He kisses the top of your head and lets you go. "We should go to Salim now" he mutters.

You nod and walk off the same way Salim went. The pathway you were following is cut short by a drop. There's steps on the side, but not enough to be able to safely make it down.

Salim is sitting at the bottom of it, "You good?" He asks you.

"Yeah, thanks for waiting" you smile at him, he returns the expression.

"Come on," he reaches his arms up, placing his pipe onto a rock, "I got you"

You sit down first, then slide off the raised platform you were on. Salims hands catch onto your waist as he gently places you down next to him. Jason glares daggers at him before dropping down himself.