ELEVEN

"Madiha?" Almaas knocked on her daughter-in-law's bedroom door

"Madiha?" Almaas knocked on her daughter-in-law's bedroom door. It was one fine afternoon a few days after the wedding.

The door sprung open within seconds. "Yes, Maa..aunty."

Almaas smiled. "I would like it if you call me maa, chanda. But it is not a compulsion. Do it whenever you're ready."

Madiha shyly nodded.

"Anyway, I came to tell you I am going out for work." Almaas continued. Ziya was in college, so that would leave Madiha alone at home. "Will you be okay alone?"

"Yes," Madiha nodded, even after knowing that she would be bored to death.

"You can go out to explore the city if you want," Almaas suggested, "or maybe visit Zafar?"

"I..how can I? I don't want to disturb him in between his work." Madiha said, even though the thought of going to see him did flutter her heart.

"Wifes never disturb their husbands. You should bring him his lunch. I am sure he'd be ecstatic to see you."

Madiha bit her lip, looking unsure.

"I will ask a maid to pack his food. You get dressed. The driver will take you." Then she stepped forward to cup one of her cheeks lovingly. "It is healthy to give each other little surprises like these. It keeps the spark alive."

Madiha nodded with a smile and then turned her heels to go pick out an outfit. She wanted to look pretty for him. After spending a considerable amount of time searching through her wardrobe, she finally decided on a black, long dress adorned with small white polka dots. She carefully combed her hair and left it down. To complete her look, she applied minimal makeup and accessorized with a wristwatch, a small handbag, and white sneakers.

She ran down the stairs, barely concealing her excitement. A maid met her at the threshold of the kitchen, holding a jute bag that contained the lunch boxes. She thanked her while taking the bag and then rushed out. An Audi was standing at the porch for her. The driver opened the backseat and helped her settle inside.

"The office, chhoti begum?" The elderly man asked, roaring the engine to life.

"Yes." She said. The entire ride Madiha couldn't waver the smile off her face.

But her excitement came crashing down when she walked to the front desk and asked the girl behind the counter for the floor number of Zafar's cabin.

"Ma'am," She said in a professional tone, "do you have an appointment?"

Madiha shook her head. "No, but.."

"I am sorry, I can't let you on his floor without an appointment."

"But if you could just let him know my name, he would.."

"I am not allowed to do that, I am sorry." The receptionist wasn't rude, just professional.