TWENTY FOUR

Zafar did not come back the next day

Zafar did not come back the next day. He unexpectedly got swamped with some work in the Mumbai office, and had to extend his trip. He called Madiha to inform her the same. If being honest, that did make her upset. But she didn't show it to him. She put on a fake smile and told him it was okay. The next couple of days, she spent taking care of Almaas and watching web series.

"Hey," Zahid's voice startled Madiha. She looked up from the evening coffee she was making for herself. She smiled at him.

"Can I get one too?" He came and stood beside her.

"Of course." She picked up another coffee mug from the shelf.

She finished making it and gave him the mug. "Nice," He said, taking a sip.

Giving him another one of her smiles, she started to leave. But his words halted her. "Do you have any plans?"

"Not really." She shrugged.

"I am heading out to the mall to buy a few things. Do you wanna come?"

She paused for a second. She could go, but she didn't want to. They might have agreed to become friends, but she was not sure if their relationship was that simple. The thought of going out shopping with her brother-in-law and ex-fiance didn't sit right with her. So she shook her head. "I think I will pass. Have fun shopping." She walked out of the kitchen before he could say anything else.

The next morning, Zahid found Madiha again in the garden and offered to go out for lunch.

"I have heard a lot of good reviews of their chinese. You like it, don't you?" He said.

She shifted from one foot to another nervously. "I don't think.."

"Please don't say no." He interrupted her. "I have been here for so many weeks, but everyone still refuses to talk to me. Maa Sahib doesn't even look in my direction. You're the only one who forgave me, and I would like to spend some time with you."

His desperate voice and expression did make her feel a little bad for him. But she still couldn't find it in her to hang out with him.

"I understand your state, but I really don't think it is a good idea for us to go out." She replied, calmly.

"Why?"

"Because..we have history and I am now married to your brother. It is weird." She tried to put the awkwardness of the situation into words.

"Is that it? Is it about Zafar bhai and him not liking us hanging out?" His tone was almost defensive.

"No, yes. I don't know." She didn't know how to explain it to him. "It just doesn't feel right to me."

"So you're going to deny yourself happiness because it may not sit right with my brother? Are you scared of him?"

Zahid's words left Madiha baffled. She opened and closed her mouth, not knowing how to react to everything he was saying.

"Madiha," He stepped closer to her and reached to hold her hand, "Is my brother not treating you right? Does he..does he.."

"No!" She snapped, snatching her hand away from his grasp. "Whatever that it is you're implying, absolutely no. How could you even think anything bad about Zafar?"

"Because I have noticed you both." He retorted, "I see how he never pays attention to you, like you don't even exist for him. And it hurts me. You don't deserve to be treated like that."

She humorlessly chuckled. "The only way I didn't deserve to be treated was being left at the altar. And guess who did that? You. You, who has the audacity to stand in front of me and accuse my husband of things that he has never done."

"Madiha.."

"No, I forgave you for what you did. But if you ever speak about Zafar in that way ever again, I will forget you're a part of this family. I count my blessings everyday ever since I have married him." She smiled, "Do you know why I forgave you so easily? It is because somewhere I am actually glad that you left me."

He stared at her speechless while she turned around and left.

She walked straight to her room and didn't leave until lunch time when a househelp came to tell her that Almaas was waiting at the table. The meal was a quiet affair. Almaas sensed some tension between Madiha and Zahid, but didn't say anything. She trusted her daughter-in-law enough to let things handle on her own.

After Almaas left for her room, Madiha tried slipping away too. But Zahid caught her before that.

"I would like to apologize, Madiha." He said, "I overstepped my boundaries."

She stayed quiet.

"I was just trying to look out for you." He further spoke. "And Zafar bhai, we all know he's tough. He barely shows any emotions. I just didn't want you to be stuck in an unhappy marriage because of me."

She rolled her eyes. "Bold of you to assume my marriage is unhappy."

His eyes softened. "I can understand why you would not want to share your feelings with me. But you also don't have to lie. I see you both, Madiha. I see him with you."

"You just don't get it, do you?" She huffed with a smile. "You just said Zafar doesn't show his emotions, that doesn't mean he doesn't have them. But, I don't need to prove it to you. You are free to assume anything you please. But don't ever try to involve yourself in our relationship."

She shut herself in her room again. The conversation with Zahid had left her feeling weird. She paced around her room, a million thoughts jumbled in her mind. She couldn't believe the way he had behaved with her. What was he expecting? That she'd leave everything and run back into his arms?

She picked up her phone, scrolling through her contacts to find Zafar's name. She needed to hear her husband's voice to calm her nerves.

But before she made the call, she realized that just the voice would not be enough. She needed his presence, his scent, his arms, all around her. She wanted to drown herself in him and never leave. So she called Rudra instead.

"Good afternoon, ma'am." He picked up the call on the second ring and spoke in his professional tone.

"Rudra..where is Zafar?" She impatiently asked.

"Sir is in a meeting. Do you want me to get him?" Rudra had received specific instructions to prioritize putting Madiha through, irrespective of Zafar's busy schedule.

"No," She shook her head. "I actually need you to arrange for me to fly to Mumbai asap."

Rudra paused for a second before asking, "I will speak to Zafar sir about that as soon as he gets free."

"No," She said again, "He can't know. I want to surprise him."

"Very well." His tone was certain. "I will have the jet ready in a few hours and make the necessary arrangements."

"Thank you so much." She was grateful.

"Anytime, ma'am."

She hung up and got to packing.

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

120 votes and 35 comments! Chalo jaldi.