SEVENTEEN

"Bhabhi," Ziya nervously looked at Madiha was packing her clothes for the impromptu honeymoon Zafar was taking her to

Madiha hummed without looking at her sister-in-law, distracted by the work at hand.

"I want to study design." Ziya said.

"I know." Madiha threw a glance at her, "Zafar has been looking for the best design colleges in America for you."

"I want to study in Mumbai." Ziya added.

That made Madiha halt. "Mumbai? Why?"

"Because I don't want to go to America." She made a sad face. "I don't want to live so far from my family. Going to Mumbai will give me a sense of independence, living on my own; and it is also close enough that I can visit home whenever I want."

Her reason made sense to Madiha. "So what is there to be nervous about? Just tell Zafar that you want to go to Mumbai."

"Bhai won't agree." Ziya pouted, "And even if he does, he will send twenty armed guards to follow me all the time."

"What? Why?"

"Because he never compromises with the safety of us." Ziya told her.

"But we don't have security here." Madiha pointed out.

That made Ziya smile. "We do."

"But I have never seen.." Madiha was confused.

"Their job is to guard us without us knowing. The day you got married to bhai, a team of guards had been appointed just for you."

Madiha felt a little weirded out by the information, but nodded nonetheless. She understood that she was the wife of one of the most important men of the country, and her safety could not be compromised.

"Anyway, what I am trying to ask is..will you talk to bhai about letting me go to Mumbai without any security?" Ziya bit her lips nervously.

Madiha's eyes widened. "Why me?"

"Because he listens to you. If anyone can convince him, it is you."

"That is not true." Madiha shook her head.

"Oh please," Ziya rolled her eyes. "You have him wrapped around your tiny finger.

A little blush appeared on Madiha's face. "Really?"

"You should have seen him when you were at your parents'. He knew you were not here, but still it was like he was searching for you everywhere." Ziya teasingly smiled, "No wonder he brought you back so soon."

"So," Ziya continued, "will you talk to him for me?"

Madiha wasn't sure if she would be able to convince him, but the hope in Ziya's eyes made her say, "Yes."

That night, after Zafar returned from the office, the entire family had dinner together. When Madiha started walking towards the room, Ziya gave her another very hopeful look.