SIXTEEN

Zafar, dressed in his office attire, descended down the stairs with his phone in his hand

Zafar, dressed in his office attire, descended down the stairs with his phone in his hand. In the living room, Almaas and Ziya were waiting for him. He greeted them and took a seat before the maids came forward to serve them breakfast. Zafar gave a longing look to the chair beside him, Madiha's chair, before he reluctantly started eating.

It had been two days since Madiha had left for Adilabad with her parents. The absence of her vibrant presence weighed heavily upon him, far more than he cared to admit.The stillness of his own room, the room where he had lived alone for thirty one years, had been bothering him. It was like his space had become more hers and demanded her presence all the time. The colorful clothes in the closet, the hundred thousands products on the dresser, the scent of her body wash in the bathroom, everything was killing him. She wasn't there, yet somehow she was.

"Bhai," Ziya cleared her throat.

Zafar looked up at her with a raised eyebrow.

"I..um," She played with the fork, "Actually..can you pass me the salt?"

He looked unsure but gave her the salt nonetheless.

After eating, he kissed both the ladies on their forehead before leaving for the office. Today was the day where they'd find out which company had gotten the tender, his or the Khans. Rudra was waiting for him with his coffee.

"The meeting is scheduled at 12." Rudra informed, "Mr Yung and Ruhaan Khan would be joining through skype."

Till noon, Zafar did some pending work. When Rudra came to get him, he straightened his blazer and tie before padding into the conference room. On two big screens, Ruhaan and Yin Yung were waiting for him.

"It is nice to see you, Mr Abraar, Mr Khan." Yin Yung started.

Zafar's eyes flickered with a mix of confidence and apprehension, his mind sharpened for the battle ahead. He straightened his tie, maintaining an air of composure as he glanced at Ruhaan, who was adorned in a tailored suit that exuded authority. He returned the gaze with a steely resolve. Both rivals were fully aware of the stakes at hand.

Mr Yung leaned forward, his eyes piercing, and addressed the room. "Gentlemen, I must express my sincere appreciation for the impressive proposals put forth by both your companies. It was an arduous decision to make, but after careful consideration and evaluation, I have come to a conclusion."

The room held its breath as Mr Yung slowly unfolded a letter containing the name of the chosen recipient. The tension amplified, echoing in the silence.

With measured grace, Mr Yung announced, "I am pleased to announce that the tender is..."

Time seemed to stand still as the words hung in the air, suspended in anticipation.

"...Zafar's."

A mix of emotions swept through the room. Zafar's heart swelled with a blend of pride, relief, and a touch of triumph. Ruhaan, though outwardly composed, concealed a flicker of disappointment.