Chapter 3: Paper slips

A/N I am on a spree-

Everyone went silent, then the glamour started. The new girl looked very confused, and it made a lot of sense that she wouldn't be alarmed at her seating arrangement since she didn't know who Nightmare was.

Outer quickly discussed something with his seat partner, Blue, before raising his hand so high it looked like it was headed to space.

"She can pull up a seat to our desk, it's no big deal. We don't mind at all, truly."

Dawn tilted her head. This was a big deal over a mere seat. Dream recognized her confusion and why, so he cleared his throat to get her attention. She looked over.

"Nightmare is very picky about his space. He tends to get... violent over it. It's better to just let him be."

Dawn glanced back over at the goopy guy, who was glaring daggers at her. So, he was violent towards others over a seat? His classmates would rather squish another person in at the desk than have someone sit next to him? This simply would not do. Someone needed to take this guy down a peg, and she'd be the one to do it.

"Oh, well three people is way too crowded. I think it would be much better if I just sat in the back. It'll be fine, I'm sure he'll warm up to me eventually."

With that, to many people's amazement, she walked straight to the back, heels clacking behind her.

Sitting down next to Nightmare, she completely ignored his gaze. In a habitual way, she took out a simple white notebook. To the left she placed a color organized box of colored pencils, placing some erasers under it. On the other side she organized pencils by length and placed her highlighters in order from light to dark. Following this, she neatly placed a ruler and pencil sharpener above, along with some intricate floral pens. She placed her fluffy pencil case to the side.

Sighing, she smiled happily at her stationary. She glanced up when the teacher began to stutter, noticing she had left her laptop behind. She went to go get it, picking it up and making sure all the stickers were perfectly in place. That's when it happened.

The silent afternoon was interrupted by a loud clattering noise following with a bang. The whole room quieted down to whispers, many looking at her in pity. Some were just amused; obvious to tell who that was. The specter behind Dawn chuckled, and she slowly turned around, knowing what was awaiting her.

Nightmare smirked. The new girl was frozen in shock. Surely she'd realize by now he wasn't someone to be trifled with, and would move to sit next to outer.

Dawn began to walk to the back, her boots clicking in the silence. Everyone stared; nobody knew what was going to happen.

First day of Junior year and there was already more action that anyone thought this class had ever seen.

Nightmare watched her reach down to pick up her scattered belongings. He bet that she was going to cry. Oh, such negative emotions would just give him power.

That was when it hit him. He felt absolutely nothing from this girl. He hadn't since the first faint trace of excitement.

He quickly analyzed her as she picked up her stuff. It should be impossible. Anyone could tell she was annoyed, just by the fact that her fists were clenched tight enough to kill a man.

Yet, there was nothing. Nightmare was very, very unnerved about this. Even Ink, with his more apathetic soul, gave off more energy than this when he wasn't on vials.

(Yes he has a soul. Fight me.)

She stacked everything back on her desk, and neatly sat back down next to him.

She neatly and quickly rearranged everything, frowning at the crumpled first page of her notebook before ripping it out and putting it to the side.

She placed her book neatly at the corner of the table, and slid her laptop into her backpack for safekeeping.

The murmurs rose up again. The tea was piping hot baby gorillas.

Nightmare nearly choked on air. What on earth? Who in their right mind would sit back down next to the person who knocked their stuff over.

Before anyone could say anything, the teacher cleared her throat nervously.

This was her first year teaching, and it just had to be with this mess of a class.

"Alright everyone... since it's our first day umm... could you maybe make some sort of name card? We will share them next class."

(Which is very redundant since everyone but Dawn had known each other since childhood.

Everyone in the back groaned, except for Dawn.

Geez, why couldn't she have just sat with the Stars?

Neatly color coding the now first page of her notes as she began writing an intro, Dawn took out the crumpled piece of paper, quickly jotted something down, and slid it to Nightmare.

Nightmare scoffed. As if he'd ever read the note this brat passed him.

Dawn aggressively cleared her throat.

Nightmare rolled his eyes, not wanting any more attention on him for today. He may like the spotlight but this was getting to be a pain in his ego.

He aggressively scanned the paper and almost had a double take.

(-note contained within from dawn- *note from nm*)

-Are you really that jealous you don't own a stationary set?-

Next to which, she had drawn a very angry octopus.

Nightmare could've sworn his Jaw dropped far enough to reach the kids on the first floor. He furiously scribbled a response.

*I'm not jealous, just waiting for you to wake up and realize trash like you belongs in the front.*

He swiped it back over to her, scowling.

Killer, sitting in front of Dawn, found this absolutely hilarious.

He was trying not to laugh though, because the second Nightmare caught him, his entertainment would stop.

Dawn just grinned.

-Worthless trash huh? What're you then, an oil spill? The way I see it you're also pollution.-

Signed with the same angry octopus. He assumed he'd see it at the end of every message. (Spoiler alert; he would)

He angrily scribbled back, almost snapping his pencil in half.

*At least oil has some value. Barbie dolls like you are only good for killing wildlife.*

Dawn, the queen of multitasking, had finished her neat name card and was focusing all her attention on the note.

For the next one, she handed it back to Nightmare, smiling very very sweetly and innocently.

Oh boy, should that have been a sign.